Speaker outs on a 50 cal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhrocker

Reaction score
The 50 cal manual is a little confusing on the speaker outs, so maybe someone can answer my sill question. On the back of the 50 cal, one speaker out is marked 8 ohms while the other one is marked 4 ohms. Does this mean that I can use 1 8 ohm cabinet OR 1 4 ohm cabinet or 2 8 ohm cabinets? I think the manual just says use 1 8 ohm if plugged into the 8 and 2 8 ohms if you are plugging into both 8 and 4.

Thanx - Pete

I think you have one eight ohm and two four ohm speaker outs. They are in an "L"-shaped arrangement, I think.
You don't say if it's a combo or head, so:
Two 8 ohm cabs = one each into a 4 ohm speaker out on the amp head.
One 8 ohm cab with a combo = unplug the combo speaker from the 8 ohm jack and put it into the 4 ohm jack. Plug the 8 ohm extension cab into the other 4 ohm jack.

I think you have it right. There are basically 3 different possible configuration:
1) single 8 ohm speaker plugged into the 8 ohm output
2) single 4 ohm speaker plugged into the 4 ohm output
3) dual 8 ohm speakers both plugged into the 4 ohm outputs

You should not have anything connected to the 8 ohm output and 4 ohm output at the same time because it would present a strange load to the transformer secondary.

MrMarkIII said:
I think you have one eight ohm and two four ohm speaker outs. They are in an "L"-shaped arrangement, I think.
You don't say if it's a combo or head, so:
Two 8 ohm cabs = one each into a 4 ohm speaker out on the amp head.
One 8 ohm cab with a combo = unplug the combo speaker from the 8 ohm jack and put it into the 4 ohm jack. Plug the 8 ohm extension cab into the other 4 ohm jack.

My head only has 2 speaker out jacks - 1 is 8 ohms and the other is 4 ohms.

wallybob said:
I think you have it right. There are basically 3 different possible configuration:
1) single 8 ohm speaker plugged into the 8 ohm output
2) single 4 ohm speaker plugged into the 4 ohm output
3) dual 8 ohm speakers both plugged into the 4 ohm outputs

You should not have anything connected to the 8 ohm output and 4 ohm output at the same time because it would present a strange load to the transformer secondary.

I checked this out today and plugged the 4 into a 4 ohm cab. All is good - no fireworks. It's cool, but confusing.

Back