speaker load question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGRIMM

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if you can help me on a question I have about using the slave output of my Dual Rectifier 2 channel amp. I want to use the slave out, or the fx send out for the preamp only for direct recording, but I'm reading that I would have to have some kind of load on the amp to not fry the transformer or the tubes. What could I use for the load output other than a speaker? I also own the Roadking and that has a "shorting" plug? could I just use a regular speaker jack not connected to anything? Thanks for reading this and I hope you can help me...

The answer to your problem would be something like the Sequis Motherload! There may be a few other products to do the job also, I dunno? You need to understand that the amp is not a direct recording device! Even if you found a dummy-load for your speaker outs, you would be left with a thin, brittle sound to work with! With that in mind, your looking for a dummy-load and a speaker emulator, exactly what the above mentioned accomplishes! Good Luck!

The problem is I don't want to fry that amp. I already tried using the slave out into the computer and used a cab sim such as guitar rig 2.0 and izotobe trash and it sounded really good. I'm just worried about frying the amp. Is there a way just to make 8ohm jack or make a resisitor or something without spending alot of money?

lol.. My last name happens not to be Grimm.. sorry... But it is a cool last name.. So anybody have any clues on what I should do?

JGRIMM said:
Hi,
I was wondering if you can help me on a question I have about using the slave output of my Dual Rectifier 2 channel amp. I want to use the slave out, or the fx send out for the preamp only for direct recording, but I'm reading that I would have to have some kind of load on the amp to not fry the transformer or the tubes. What could I use for the load output other than a speaker? I also own the Roadking and that has a "shorting" plug? could I just use a regular speaker jack not connected to anything? Thanks for reading this and I hope you can help me...
Check out this thread I just posted over on HC: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1323113

IMO the best you can do is to use a load like a Hot Plate, Weber Mass, Sequis Motherload, etc. In the thread above, I used the Line-out of the Hot Plate into an XTL for cab sim and I'm really pleased with the results. The nice thing about using a load and line-out is that it includes the power section's contribution to the tone. You'll need a cab sim of course, and on the cheap, a Behringer Ultra-G DI box sounds really good with its built-in 4x12 cab sim.

Another option is to check the manual to see if your amp has a poweramp mute function like the Mesa F-series. You're only getting the preamp signal, but you don't have to use a load in that case.

Im going to jump right out and say that I do not know the answer to the question your really asking. You dont want any sound coming out of your speakers and just want the preamp going into your PC for recording purposes. Im also going to say that Mesa didnt put a slave out on your amplifier for nothing. The Idea behind the slave out is that you can send the preamp signal that is "derived from the poweramp" (Im assuming this means that it has some tonal charactoristics gained from the poweramp) to other power amps. With that being said, how could you fully utilize the ability to use a recto preamp with with say.. a simulclass 2:90 so that you could utilize tonal diffefences from the auxillary power-amp? Im sure that their is a perfectly logical explaination on how to do this but Im not sure what that is. If you go out to the Mesa site and go to the "Contact Us" section and call Mesa's technical support I know that they could explain it to you. When you find out please let us know!! I have to say that I cannot ever remember getting better support from any company than Mesa. Not just on amp companies or even Guitar related companies. I can vouch that one time I called them for something and I had to leave a message because everyone was on the phone. I recieved a call back @ 7:30 their time and the guy shot the breeze with me for about an hour just talking about setting up my tone controls. This put him leaving the office @ least 3.5 hours late since they were to close the Mesa offices @ 5. That is purely someone who loves wat they do....I have none others to compare to... :wink:

Micah said:
Im going to jump right out and say that I do not know the answer to the question your really asking. You dont want any sound coming out of your speakers and just want the preamp going into your PC for recording purposes. Im also going to say that Mesa didnt put a slave out on your amplifier for nothing. The Idea behind the slave out is that you can send the preamp signal that is "derived from the poweramp" (Im assuming this means that it has some tonal charactoristics gained from the poweramp) to other power amps. With that being said, how could you fully utilize the ability to use a recto preamp with with say.. a simulclass 2:90 so that you could utilize tonal diffefences from the auxillary power-amp? Im sure that their is a perfectly logical explaination on how to do this but Im not sure what that is. If you go out to the Mesa site and go to the "Contact Us" section and call Mesa's technical support I know that they could explain it to you. When you find out please let us know!! I have to say that I cannot ever remember getting better support from any company than Mesa. Not just on amp companies or even Guitar related companies. I can vouch that one time I called them for something and I had to leave a message because everyone was on the phone. I recieved a call back @ 7:30 their time and the guy shot the breeze with me for about an hour just talking about setting up my tone controls. This put him leaving the office @ least 3.5 hours late since they were to close the Mesa offices @ 5. That is purely someone who loves wat they do....I have none others to compare to... :wink:
The Slave out is just a padded tap off the speaker so it has all the preamp and poweramp contribution to the tone. Normally, slave outs are used for reinforcement purposes are wet/dry setups if you already like your amp's tone and just want it louder or more effected.

The method I described above essentially performs the same task by deriving a line-level signal from the amp's speaker output, but dumps all the power into a load instead so there won't be any volume.

Contacted Mesa and they told me to get a power attenuator like hal9000 said.. I just thought there would be a simpler and cheaper way to do this... thanks for your responses.... if anybody can find another way let me know :)

Latest posts

Back