speaker just blew

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardude05

Reaction score
in my widebody mark iv combo. any suggestions on replacement speakers and/or where to get them for a good price would be appreciated. its weird, i must have had the bass turned up too much i dont really know, i was letting my friend jam on it. time for a head swap to a half stack or just replace the speaker? thanks guys. :cry:

It may be under warranty. If not, I'd suggest another black shadow, or maybe an EV 12L, or maybe that Eminence Delta Pro 12A everybody talks about. I've never tried the Delta Pro though.

If I were you I'd get an EV.

the amp is 8-9 years old, bought it used... no warranty for me haha. do you guys have any idea why it would just blow right open like this? pretty much half of the cone was torn, im guessing i had the bass on the eq too high and the amp is just showing age.

an idea: im thinking about cutting a section out of my combo to make it into a head, and then i would make a theile with an evm12L to match the head. of course get it re-tolexed or something. what do you think?

I think you are better off buying a head and selling your combo with a replacement speaker. The short head is a bit more portable IMO. That way you can probably buy a used Thiele for cheaper than it costs to make one to match a long head.

Greg

guitardude05 said:
an idea: im thinking about cutting a section out of my combo to make it into a head, and then i would make a theile with an evm12L to match the head. of course get it re-tolexed or something. what do you think?

I don't know about cutting, but I prefer the head/cab option in general. I will soon have a MKIIC+ head with 2 Theiles from Boogafunk. That way, I can have a 1X12 amp or a 2X12 amp, depending on the situation. And, while I will have to cart around up to 3 pieces, they are all lighter than a MKIIC+ combo.

i would rather carry around multiple lighter items than 1 freakishly heavy combo. i still dont know about cutting the combo, it seems like the cheapest way to me. i could probably only sell the amp for around 900-950 at most with a new speaker. then shell out 1200 for a used short head and couple hundred for a theile? i just dont know, but the holidays are coming soon :eek:

guitardude05 said:

WAIT!!! you are thinking of *cutting* your combo cab?? ...do I have that clear? How's this: sell the combo shell (lots go on the bay all the time) and buy a head shell used (there's a MKIV on the bay now, and I found mine on TGP forum ...they're out there fairly regularly), or get one new, or get one custom from a builder, or build your own since your thinking of making a thiele cab. Heck, have em match for a truly beautiful rig. Or buy a Thiele ...or whatever you want. Call me nuts, but I just get sad, no, depressed, when I think of a perfectly good Mesa combo getting cut up ...

Edward

guitardude05 said:
in my widebody mark iv combo. any suggestions on replacement speakers and/or where to get them for a good price would be appreciated. its weird, i must have had the bass turned up too much i dont really know, i was letting my friend jam on it. time for a head swap to a half stack or just replace the speaker? thanks guys. :cry:

Replace blown speaker .
Recone oldie and install in a thiele . (widebody , that is ):D

edward said:
WAIT!!! you are thinking of *cutting* your combo cab?? ...do I have that clear?

...or build your own since your thinking of making a thiele cab. Heck, have em match for a truly beautiful rig.

yes you have that clear, i probably will not go through with it so dont fret! it never even crossed my mind to make my own head... that would be awesome. what do you guys think would look good for a head? colors, materials, etc. grille? wood material? this could get interesting :p

Phwew, now I can sleep at night :)

I think a wicker or cane style grill cloth with a medium-to-dark stain is beautiful! Solid maple is lovely, but of course birch ply is a standard. Go all out and find some figured wood ...what I did for a home-brew guitar!! Or just look at some of the Imbuya or similar examples Mesa puts out. Gorgeous. A matching head and cab is the pinnacle of a beautiful rig, IMHO. If you've got the know-how, that's what I would do. And don't forget to post yer results. :)

Edward

the only thing i dont know how to do/ dont have/ is a router to get rounded edges.......... :x

im scrapping the whole custom headshell and thiele idea (for now). i just dont have the time. maybe i will retolex the combo, but i need a replacement speaker. what do you guys suggest for a replacement? c90 again, evm12L, any others that you guys like?

Don't know if it'll fit in your Mk 4, so you might try this in aThiele cab: EVM-15L. Love mine with a 2B.

John

If you're just replacing at this juncture, find yourself an EVM12L used of ebay. As an alternative, One guy said he got great results from one of the new Neodyn spkrs that's modeled after the EVM. Can't remember if it was Emi or another maker, though. His tone report was very favorable FWIW.

Edward

Latest posts

Back