Speaker isolation boxes on stage????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogie shoes

Reaction score
Hello Mesa Genius's!
I have a LSC 50/100 head with EL34's in it running through a vertical 2x12 recto cab with V30's in it. I love that set up for classic rock.
well I am in a new band, at practice things were great but when It came time to play a gig, they started talking about "bagging" the guitar speaker cabs. and thats exactly what we did. we mic'd the cab and slid a protective foam filled bag the kind you use to store PA speakers, over my speaker cabinet to lower the stage volume, we use In Ear monitors and well, it worked frigging great! so now I am thinking about buying a Randall or Grendall dead room cab. wondering if anyone else does such a thing and if you have any suggestions.

I put a studio foam shield over the front of my two twelve and used a sm57 on one of those cab clips. Now, I use a one twelve with a long speaker cord under the stage with a smaller foam baffle. I love in-ears, but sometimes I miss the "Thud" coming from my old 4x12.

cool Idea, I have been thinking about going to one of the small theil cabs and bagging it. what are these studio bafles you are speaking of? where can I get one?
lately I have been giving the one twelve some thought and building a box that would just slide over the top of it.

It's the same stuff that they use for treating the walls in home studios, but it is from a whole- sale place on line. I'm sure the bag thing would be just as good (or better) over a cranked 1x12. As for the box I made just some 1/2 ADX ply cut 5" bigger than the outside dimensions of the 1x12 all the way around with no top or bottom with the foam spray glued to the inside of the ply. I have a SM57 drum mic clipped to the inside for the speaker. I will try to find the name of the foam place for you, they are way cheaper than the other companies.

wastoid said:
Wouldn't you be able to just use an attenuator to solve the volume issue?

that will also remove speaker breakup, which may be a part of his tone/sound.

Yes and no. While I have an Air Brake, it sounds kind of squishy compared to an actual speaker fighting for it's life.

Boogie Shoes, Here's an idea to check out. Of course this will cost a few bucks as opposed to the do it yourselfer. I know they've used these things on drums for some time now. If you ever went with a shield like this around your amps or drums, I would recommend rehearsing with them for a while to really get the feel of the sound. I've played a few shows with drum shields before and although it didn't bother me too much the drummer I was with at the time (RIP) had a time getting used to the feel.

http://www.clearsonic.com/amp_isolation.htm

If you like the sound and it works for you then you're sorted... Personally I have tried many different ways of closing up the cab and they all had a similar issue of sounding exactly like they were, i.e. boxed in... I think There's something about the sound having some space to roar in and the more air it has to push around the better... If at any time you find this then you could try and find an option where it has a decent space inside the enclosure to still breath some... The guy who linked to clearsonic products, I had an opportunity a few times to use a clearsonic drum cage and using just the foam parts (don't use the perspex, it emphasises hi's giving an ultra shrap and nasty sound) and using this to close the amp in so I could record at home but at close to max volume, it still gave a good sound.

John Petrucci and U2's Edge (the only ones i have read of so far anyway) have tried rigs like this at various points but in the end just came out using less stuff out front at high vol (nice to have the option hey? ) 8)

Latest posts

Back