Speaker in an F30

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlechaser

Reaction score
New Boogie owner here. Have a couple of questions...

I have an F30 that I'd like to make a little smoother at higher volumes. Isn't the Vintage 30 a little edgie by nature? Would switching it out for something else help? What would you recommend? Or would tubes make a bigger difference? Thanks...

turtlechaser said:
Isn't the Vintage 30 a little edgie by nature? Would switching it out for something else help? What would you recommend?
How about Celestion Anniversary? [although 30 watts if I'm not mistaken] But it takes a little off the high end edge. Take off more high end edge try Celestion's Greenbacks (although 25 watts).

Maybe an Eminence Governor. It's supposed to be like the V30 without the sharp mid hump or piercing high end. I actually have a Governor and love it. Very smooth.

frogger said:
Maybe an Eminence Governor. It's supposed to be like the V30 without the sharp mid hump or piercing high end. I actually have a Governor and love it. Very smooth.

Stole my thunder :wink: Yeah, Eminence Red Coats Series (as well as Patriot Series) makes some good alternatives to the Celestions ... and (if I'm not mistaken) made in the US where most Celestion models are assembled in China.

Yup! Made in USA. The Patriot line has US made cones. The Red Coat line has British made cones.

I had the Tonker for a couple of months and although it was a nice speaker, (probably great with a Fender tube amp) it was too hi-fi, too transparent and the high end was like an ice pick in my ears.

The Gov shares none of those qualities. I like it better than the V30. :)

Dave at avatarspeakers.com sells them pretty cheap. Drop him an e-mail as ask for the current price list.

Another option to consider is the Black Shadow Clestion Custom 90 that Mesa uses in the F-50 (among others) I have both a C90 (came stock in my F50) and a V30 I bought for a home built 1x12 recto cab. I have a strong preference for the C90...in fact have been tempted to sell the V30, but I'm soon to have a custom built Plexi style 18W amp that I want to try with it first. If you've got a Mesa dealer nearby, it should be easy to try out. Just take your F30 with you and run the speaker cable from an F50 to your speaker out and let her rip.

The Eminence suggestions are also good and worth checking out if you can. I tell you though, that's one thing I get frustrated with about speakers...very few places actually let you try them out before you buy, and nobody lets you return them...unless you've got money to burn I guess you just do some research, take your best guess and hope for the best! I did hear recently about a place in England that has speakers mounted in cabs and you can hook up to them to compare...wish more places would start doing that!

Personally for me, speakers for the appropiate application varies. There's always trade-offs.

Like for a amp running EL84s, I like using alnico magnet speakers like Celestion Blues, or Weber's Blue Dogs, or Eminence Red Fang.

Fender Twin: Jensens or Jensen types. Although my friend has D120F on his '65 Twin it more versatile than the Jensen. Its just that Jensen will "nail" that rock n roll sounds of the 60's.

For British sound, I like Celestions, but Eminence (Red Coat Series) makes some good alternative.

While were on the subject of speakers according to June Guitar Player Magazine critquing the M/B's Stilleto, Doug West mentions Boogies Vintage Celestion are still made in England unlike the newer Vintage 30s which are made in China. For me its no big deal Made in China 'cause I would assume Celestion does have some control on quality control (oxy moron?).

Here's some sites besides avatarspeakers.com:
http://svvintageamps.com/
http://www.usspeaker.com/
http://www.tedweber.com/

Back