speaker connection

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevycat

Reaction score
I feel like a tool for asking this question which I think I alreay know the answer, but wtf I am going to ask anyway.

On a MK V combo, where do you plug in the 8 ohm speaker, there are 2 8 ohm ports on the back of the combo. the word combo is between the upper and lower 8 ohm jack inputs.

So, does it matter if it's the upper or lower one or not at all.

Same thing. They are connected to each other from the inside of the chassis. Don't worry.

BUT you have to have something connected before you turn the amp on.

I have a question. I have a combo with the combo speaker into the 8 ohm jack. I also have an 8 Ohm 2X12 cab (one celestion vintage 30 one celestion heritage G12H) that I plug in to the 8 ohm jack right above this. I am doing this correctly?

SST ! Beware! What you are doing is connecting 2 x 8 ohms loads in parallel so you actually have only a total load of 4 ohms and you risk frying your output transformer!!

Because both 8 ohms outputs are connected in parallel internally and similarly for the 2 x 4 ohms outputs, you have to connect both the combo speaker and your 8 ohms cab in each of the 4 ohms cab. That way its a perfect match. Electrically at least. I am not sure how balanced they are regarding sensitivity. You migth have one that sound louder than the other but no harm will be done.

SST: If you are using the combo speaker at the same time as an 8 ohm external cab, you need to plug each of those into the 4 ohm jacks.

Yes . If you look closely at the back of the amp where the speaker jacks are located, it says in between the 4 ohm jacks 2x8ohm. Also if you look in the manual on page 56 you will see that the correct way to use the combo with an 8 ohm ex. cab is to plug them both in the 4 ohm plugs.

Back