Speaker Combinations with Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyrexia

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am about to add a cabinet to my rig. I am considering some sort of closed back 1x12 to complement the openback speaker in the combo.

Is the Thiele cabinet designed only for the EV speakers? Does anyone have experience with a Black Shadow or a Vintage 30 in a Thiele cab?

How about a Recto 1x12? Anyone have any knowledge of those?

What I am thinking is the black shadow in the combo and a v30 in the extension cab. I have two black shadows now but I like vintage 30s a lot and I think the mix will sound good. I don't have any experience with black shadows in a closed back enclosure though.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I have heard both the C90 Black Shadow and EVM-12L loaded thiele cabs. They both sound good. I have a friend who uses one of each with a MkIV short head. They blend well together. If I had to make a choice involving the V30 speaker, I would just pick up a 1x12 recto cab. The EV thiele is an awesome sounding 1x12. If I were you, I would pick up a 1x12 EV thiele. Try it with the EV, then swap in your spare C90 for comparison. You can sell the raw EV driver for $100 easily if you don't like it.

I can say, having tried many speakers in the Boogies, that my favorites are:

#1 Original MS 12 150watt Black Shadow
#2 EVM 12L
#3 Altec 417 8H
#5 Celestion C90
#6 JBL D120
#7 JBL K120

BWK

Back