Speaker cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emo killer

Reaction score
hey guys, i recently got a stiletto stage 1 and i made the mistake of getting to really shitty speaker cabs for it and now it sounds horrible i dont know if its the amp or speaker cabs but im pretty positive its the cabs. the tone im getting is harsh and really brittle sounding. can u guys give me suggestions about some cabs and maybe whats wrong with my amp thx guys btw the cabs i have are peavey windsors

I wouldn't think it would be the amp unless you have the tone control's at extreme settings. Do you know what kind of speakers are in the Peavy cab's? Did you try some of the amp settings in the manual?

emo killer said:
hey guys, i recently got a stiletto stage 1 and i made the mistake of getting to really sh!t speaker cabs for it and now it sounds horrible i dont know if its the amp or speaker cabs but im pretty positive its the cabs. the tone im getting is harsh and really brittle sounding. can u guys give me suggestions about some cabs and maybe whats wrong with my amp thx guys btw the cabs i have are peavey windsors

if you're looking for a 4x12 i'd recommend a mesa stiletto cab or a vht FB cab.... both are really tight and articulate and really let you open up the amp... build quality is top notch on both..... if your interested and close enough to NJ i'm selling a diezel 4x12 which is more or less a marshall sized cab but to me it sounds a lot better

now if your looking at 2x12s i would highly recommend the stiletto 2x12 as it was designed for your amp.... i just picked up a roadster 2x12 for my roadster and they truly were designed for each other.... i pair the roadster cab with my basson 2x12 cab which adds some clarity to the mix..... hope this helps

the Roadster and Stiletto 2 x 12 cabs are the same except the Stiletto has white piping around the grill.

jab said:
the Roadster and Stiletto 2 x 12 cabs are the same except the Stiletto has white piping around the grill.

dimension wise yes.... but they're voiced different..... i havent opened up either to see if there is anything special inside but there is definitely a sonic difference..... the roadster sounds more 3 dimensional where as stiletto sounds very directional if that makes sense at all

Try the 2x12 rectocab. You get thicker juicier sound and a little more bottom end. I personally think the 2x12 stiletto cab makes the head to shrill for my tastes.

jdurso said:
emo killer said:
hey guys, i recently got a stiletto stage 1 and i made the mistake of getting to really sh!t speaker cabs for it and now it sounds horrible i dont know if its the amp or speaker cabs but im pretty positive its the cabs. the tone im getting is harsh and really brittle sounding. can u guys give me suggestions about some cabs and maybe whats wrong with my amp thx guys btw the cabs i have are peavey windsors

if you're looking for a 4x12 i'd recommend a mesa stiletto cab or a vht FB cab.... both are really tight and articulate and really let you open up the amp... build quality is top notch on both..... if your interested and close enough to NJ i'm selling a diezel 4x12 which is more or less a marshall sized cab but to me it sounds a lot better

now if your looking at 2x12s i would highly recommend the stiletto 2x12 as it was designed for your amp.... i just picked up a roadster 2x12 for my roadster and they truly were designed for each other.... i pair the roadster cab with my basson 2x12 cab which adds some clarity to the mix..... hope this helps

hey how much you selling the diezel for? I'm in central NJ.

there's no internal difference between the roadster and stiletto cabs. the lip on the outside is the only difference (thicker on the roadster)

so you've taken it apart? i opened up my recto cab once and a buddy made one real similar out of MDF. I know MDF the devil, but his cab sound good! He front mounted his speakers and his cab is a little brighter, but in a good way. I would be interested to know the port dimensions on the roadster cab.

Never played the Ear Candy 2x8. I've played the 2x12 and 2x10s and they're awsome. The 2x12s can't be beat - not by anything. Ever!

Send EarCandy an e-mail. Tell them what you're looking for and I guarantee they can make you a cab that destroys your expectations!

I read threw some of the information on their site. To much of what was written was BS. So i'll probably stick with building them myself or buying them from avatar.

For example,
"It looks cool and it completes the round wave form of guitar and bass notes. Guitar and Bass waves are round, especially from a tube amp, Solid state amps tend to produce more square waved signals and that's why they sound a little more harsh to the ear,you will notice our cabs balance that out also."

That's BS?

(Notwithstanding - it's not like they're charging a premium for snake oil and pixie dust. There stuff is the best. Period. And much less expensive than it could/should be. And all hand-made in America. They even assemble their own speakers...So whether or not you agree with 'round sound,' you're missing out...)

I configured a cab to similar specs of my mesa 2x12 and it cost more than my mesa cab If i remember correctly. Having a speaker grill was extra! I do like all the finishing options. A diamond plate baffle board is cool and I'm sure they are fine sounding cabs. Hardwood probably does sound better than plywood and MDF. Hopefully actual planks are lighter i hate carrying heavy cabs. I get very turned off when a sales person tries to feed me a line. I wont even talk to a sales person in radio shack. I wish they has some sound clips! I've not found a none amp maker who builds cabs to have clips. Do you have any sound clips?

Latest posts

Back