Speaker Cab mixup

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemintynz

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a Dual Rectifier Solo running into a Orange 4x12 Cabinet at 8ohms. I also have another 4x12 Slant cab of a different brand which i wouldn't mind running aswell to make a full stack. Only problem is that the other cab has two impedance 4ohm and 16ohm options on the back. Obviously these are different impedances.

Is it possible to run the 8ohm can with the 16ohm. Or run the 8ohm with the 4ohm cab? If so how would i go about doing this? Can i just run both into 8ohm? To much mathmatics involved for me

Yes, it's possible. There are two ways.

1 - run the 4/16-ohm cab at *16* ohms, and connect both cabs to the 4-ohm jacks on the amp. This will give a total load of 5.33 ohms, which is completely safe for the amp. The only slight disadvantage is that the 8-ohm cab will get 2/3 of the power and the 16-ohm cab only 1/3. You probably won't hear much of a volume difference though, unless the 8-ohm cab is inherently more efficient anyway.

2 - connect the 8-ohm cab to a 4-ohm jack, and the 4/16 cab at *16* ohms to an 8-ohm jack. This will give an even split of power to both cabs and a high-mismatch on both outputs, which won't overload anything but may not sound as good.

Don't do what might look logical at first, which is to connect each cab to what looks like the correct impedance for it - with two cabs, that then becomes an overload.

94Tremoverb said:
Yes, it's possible. There are two ways.

1 - run the 4/16-ohm cab at *16* ohms, and connect both cabs to the 4-ohm jacks on the amp. This will give a total load of 5.33 ohms, which is completely safe for the amp. The only slight disadvantage is that the 8-ohm cab will get 2/3 of the power and the 16-ohm cab only 1/3. You probably won't hear much of a volume difference though, unless the 8-ohm cab is inherently more efficient anyway.

2 - connect the 8-ohm cab to a 4-ohm jack, and the 4/16 cab at *16* ohms to an 8-ohm jack. This will give an even split of power to both cabs and a high-mismatch on both outputs, which won't overload anything but may not sound as good.

Don't do what might look logical at first, which is to connect each cab to what looks like the correct impedance for it - with two cabs, that then becomes an overload.
+1

Back