Speaker break-in?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stash49

Reaction score
I just took my new roadster 2x12 to practice and it sounds real thin. I plugged it into my HB 2x12 (open back c-90s) and to me it sounded A LOT better. Is that just the way V-30s sound, or do they have to "break-in" ?

There will be a break in time, but that will not give you the fullness that youa re seeing. Basically an open back cab is just that, fuller sounding, however when you mic an cab you wouldnt hear that.

Basically it sounds fuller because sounds is coming out of the front and the back of the cab. Where a closed back cab the sound is just projecting out the front.

So you would think that the open back should be the right cab, well no not really, yes it sounds fuller, but it will lack the bass and tigthness of a closed back.

With that being said, if you play alot of places with no PA system then you probaly do better taking the open back cab as it will filld the room more. But if you mostly play places where you are mic'd then the closed back is a better option.

Personaly if i was you, I would just use both cabs if the Ohms are the same rating.

As to the break in on the V30 cab, it will become smoother as time goes on, the shrill highs will smooth out.

stash49 said:
I just took my new roadster 2x12 to practice and it sounds real thin. I plugged it into my HB 2x12 (open back c-90s) and to me it sounded A LOT better. Is that just the way V-30s sound, or do they have to "break-in" ?

I should also point out, depending on the style of music might also determine the cab you want. For ultra high gain, such has hard rock and heavy metal the closed back is the way to go.

But if you are play mostly rock/country or any music with alot of cleans then you would probaly enjoy the open back more.

If you do use the two cabinet setup, then I would MIC the closed back cab if you are mic'ing.

Thanks. With all thats been said on this issue in many threads it seem "the ultimate" would be the RKII 2x12 open back C90s with a RK 2x12 V30 closed cab.

IMO... Speaker break-in is a common mis-conception. I've owned tons of new amps and replacement speakers and whatnot and NEVER have seen a significant difference between a new speaker and broken in one. Yes, there are some subtle differences like the speaker feels a bit warmer and less tight but that is feel and with regards to tonality it is just a wee bit warmer BUT nothing that cannot be accomplished via EQ.

Carrying on IMO... The open vs. closed back is what makes the difference. Personally, my favorite setup I've ever ran:

LSC with 1x12 which is open backed w/2 1x12 closed back cabs wach with an Eminence Cannibas Rex hemp coned speaker. The combination of open and closed and different speakers was too rich for words...

Latest posts

Back