Sound without earplugs is too sharp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmb

Reaction score
When I play my mark III with earplugs on the sound is pretty perfect.
When I put it a little less louder and I take out my earplugs, it suddenly seems to sound a whole lot less warm. Now I tried to run the presence lower, but it still doesn't give me the warm sound I hear with my earplugs on.
What's the best to do. Push back some of the pull-knobs, because most of the time all of those are pulled or should I change the bias. I changed the tubes but didn't change the bias. A lot of people say your amp sound warmer with hotter bias.
Sounds like a stupid question because it's very obvious earplugs make it look like you have a warmer sound, but everytime I take out my earplugs the sound is pretty disappointing. Does anyone know a good solution to it.

Do you have a graphic EQ on your mark III? Lower the highest slider a bit. You could also find the EQ response of your earplugs on the manufacturer's site and try to replicate that in EQ.

It's called "hearing hangover" because there's such a huge contrast between sound with and without earplugs. Get your amp sounding good with the earplugs OUT, then practice with them in. Don't ever tweak your amp with earplugs in, that would be like painting a portrait with really dark sunglasses on.

Yep. When I run sound, I'll go without the earplugs for a couple songs, then pop them in once I've got all the levels and EQ where they should be.

phyrexia said:
Yep. When I run sound, I'll go without the earplugs for a couple songs, then pop them in once I've got all the levels and EQ where they should be.

Me too

6L6C said:
phyrexia said:

Me too

Me three.

Or maybe you'd like to take a big box filled with earplugs and distribute them to the audience...

=P

Just kidding...

Learn to tweak it w/o the earplugs, that's how ppl are hearing it.

Alexandre

Thank a lot guys. Do you think it's good to push back the pull-bright knobs. Most of the time I have the pulled, because it seems to make my amp more agressive sounding. Can someone post his settings for a brutal but thight metal distortion on his mark III, so I can compare it to the settings I use.
And yes I have graphic eq. I play a mark III coliseum blue stripe, with all options on I guess.

Back