Some Thoughts on My Roadster's Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinus

Reaction score
So I had a chance to chat with Guthrie Govan about different amps he's used over the years and he made me think about my tone quite a bit. What he said I found to be true. Some amps allow your personallity come through more than others. For example, my MKIV lets my playing personality come out more in the lead channel than my Roadster. The Roadster channels 3,4 color the sound so much, you pretty much sound like everyone else, just with different notes. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to think about. As I get older, my desire is to sound more like me more than Vai, Petrucci, etc.... So in the end, My MKIV, with its unforgiving touch dynamics in 2, 3 is going to be my choice for leads, and my Roadster for some rythms and mostly for cleans. I hope i haven't rambled to much. Any Thoughts?

you can't find a substitute for a recto if you want that crushing heavy rhythm tone, but lead tones of the mark series amps are unbeatable. I've got a studio preamp and when i'm playing leads i find the tone to have an incredible character and feeling, absolutely amazing.

I agree. But, I do find that ch. 1 & 2 on the RK allow for signature expressions insofar as the tone is concerned whereas 3 & 4 are more about your creativity with "musicalness." Get what I mean? 8)

ursinus said:
So I had a chance to chat with Guthrie Govan about different amps he's used over the years and he made me think about my tone quite a bit. What he said I found to be true. Some amps allow your personallity come through more than others. For example, my MKIV lets my playing personality come out more in the lead channel than my Roadster. The Roadster channels 3,4 color the sound so much, you pretty much sound like everyone else, just with different notes. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to think about. As I get older, my desire is to sound more like me more than Vai, Petrucci, etc.... So in the end, My MKIV, with its unforgiving touch dynamics in 2, 3 is going to be my choice for leads, and my Roadster for some rythms and mostly for cleans. I hope i haven't rambled to much. Any Thoughts?

thanks for that, I chose the MKIV over the Roadster for the same reason you mentioned. I'd still love to have a roadster(some day0 But the MKIV was the one I was always wanting to play again.

Latest posts

Back