Some thoughts about the MKIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srf399

Reaction score
I was ready to give up on my MKIV a week ago.... Then I tried out a few other amps... some Marshalls... the Stiletto Ace... Express series. I sat down today and tried some of the settings from Grail Tone and I think after playing my MKIV for the last 2 years I'm starting to realize that this amp is even more complex that I have ever imagined. When I was looking for an amp 2 years ago I called Mesa Boogie and talked to a few of the guys there and they were great... Very patient and honest in my opinion. As far as the MKIV was concerned I was told it can get pretty much anything you want if you're willing to spend the time and have the right speaker combination. Well some of the Grailtone setting were good but more of a base to start from and an eye opening experience for me.

My MKIV has chunk and balls I didn;t know it was capable of!

Some thoughts I have are as follows:
1. Keep the master volumes as low as possible for chunk/balls (will get the power tubes working harder
2. Rhythm 1 sounds fantastic with the gain cranked... ala Andy Timmons
3. Class A is fine but it you want guts Simul Class all the way
4. Rhythm 2 can get a very Marshallisk sound using the graphic EQ

R2 can get a real nice marshally sound when combined with a BB Preamp. Pretty much forces you into Van Halen and AC/DC riffs. :) In fact R2 with the BB is quickly becoming one of my favorite sounds in the amp.

sbalderrama said:
R2 can get a real nice marshally sound when combined with a BB Preamp. Pretty much forces you into Van Halen and AC/DC riffs. :) In fact R2 with the BB is quickly becoming one of my favorite sounds in the amp.

+1!

1. Keep the master volumes as low as possible for chunk/balls (will get the power tubes working harder

Don't you mean keep the channel volumes low and raise the master?

fpoon said:

Don't you mean keep the channel volumes low and raise the master?

Well you're both correct.....the channel volumes are labeled "Masters" and the master volume is labelled "Output".

i boosted r2 with a screamer today
it didnt sound as trebbly or bitely, not enough mid roar like a marshall though

i tot it sounded kinda smooth.
i have e34l mixed with mesa 6l6 inside

any idea how i can get close to a marshall sound on that channel?

using tweed, triode, class a operation

srf399 said:
Yup... that's what I mean. Channel volumes low... and master volume up

While I prefer this set up, setting the lead channel on 5 and then the master to 3 is mean sounding and not as dark 8) I still prefer the lead channel volume on 3 and the master wherever 8) 8)

hydesg said:
i boosted r2 with a screamer today
it didnt sound as trebbly or bitely, not enough mid roar like a marshall though

i tot it sounded kinda smooth.
i have e34l mixed with mesa 6l6 inside

any idea how i can get close to a marshall sound on that channel?

using tweed, triode, class a operation
Just a thought. Why would you wanna sound like a Marshall?

~trem

i like the lead channel for that ultra smooth lead tone

but hoped that the r2 channel would provide a marshally flavour type of distortion for rythm

you can't go wrong with the BB preamp!! The thing is that if you use it on your lead channel, you may need a noise gate (because too much gain...)

Zorshelter said:
you can't go wrong with the BB preamp!! The thing is that if you use it on your lead channel, you may need a noise gate (because too much gain...)

I keep the volume on about 1/2 and the gain on about 1/3. I can just punch it on when I want to use it with R2 and switching to R3 I don't have to switch it off to do leads. At those settings it seems to provide a nice extra amount of sustain without overboosting that channel.

The BB preamp, even at low settings, just seems to "wake up" the amp, I really like it with the Mark IV. Andy Timmons in the demo from Xotic's web site says the BB basically, "sounds like your amp, only a bit more of it", and that captures it pretty well. I like just leaving it on at lower settins, its almost like getting a little bit of a sonic maximizer effect going.

Latest posts

Back