Some sorta buzzing?!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaENGR412

Reaction score
hey guys, When I am running my Triple Recto, there seems to be a low hum or buzz coming from the Rectifier tube area. It doesn't seem to effect the amp's performance, and i don't hear it coming through the cabinet. The tubes are the original factory tubes and are a couple months past being 1 year old (came in the amp when i got it).Also, the middle Rectifier tube barely lights up at all (hasn't really since the day i got it), when i'm using the the tubes or the diodes. Is this normal on a triple recto?(I tried listening to my bud's Krank for any hum....but those don't have rectifiers haha) All the other tubes seem to be fine. Just wondering what casues that and what the buzzing could be. Thanks!

-AJH

The tubes do make a slightly (very low) hum/buzz sound when powered on....it's just the sound of them working. Is that the sort of sound, like an electrical current hum?

And don't worry about the recto tubes, they don't get nearly as bright.

Ibanez, i do believe that's it. Thanks again man, I appreciate the help/explaination.

Pinetree, that's an awesome way of putting it my friend!!!

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
hey guys, When I am running my Triple Recto, there seems to be a low hum or buzz coming from the Rectifier tube area. It doesn't seem to effect the amp's performance, and i don't hear it coming through the cabinet. The tubes are the original factory tubes and are a couple months past being 1 year old (came in the amp when i got it).Also, the middle Rectifier tube barely lights up at all (hasn't really since the day i got it), when i'm using the the tubes or the diodes. Is this normal on a triple recto?(I tried listening to my bud's Krank for any hum....but those don't have rectifiers haha) All the other tubes seem to be fine. Just wondering what casues that and what the buzzing could be. Thanks!

-AJH

The Buzz may be from the recto tube putting a strain on the 5V filament supply. See if the power transformer is hot or buzzing as well. I had the same problem with my DR and it was the Rectifier tube. It was just lightly buzzing and drawing just enough to barely light up.

Give me a PM if you need any help. I work Charlotte and live in the UC.

Thanks Boogiebabies, How do you like Charlotte, I'm down there for School@ UNCC. Love the area, I'm originally from High Point though. But, I like Charlotte better haha--More guitar shops, and Lowe's Motor Speedway....can't beat that. plus Carowinds right down the street haha....sorry i'm so off topic...

Did you replace the Rectifier tube? Thanks for the help, maybe we can jam one day....My band's playing in Mooresville later this summer!

Thanks again

-AJH

I replaced the rectifier tube and the buzzing and hot power transformer went away. I live in Union County. Mooresville is a haul. As far as Carowinds, I could not wait in line in this heat for any reason. Get ready for the Queen City Guitar Show at the Oasis Temple in the University area. It's in late August. It's right across from University hospital.

I remember when it was Charlotte Motor Speedway and you could see the track when you dove up 29 N. How about that strip club just past the Mecklenburg line !!! :D Everyone wants it closed and has for 12 years.

lol yeah it's still there. Dude, please remind me about the guitar show, i know exactly whree you are talking about. Yeah, the lines suck, but i have a season pass, so i go on off peak days when there are hardly any lines at all. I'm a coaster junkie :twisted: Thanks for your help, i'll see about replacing the recto tube soon. Will it hurt the amp if i continue to use it for too long (i'm not using the recto tubes, i'm using the diodes) Thanks again bud, and rock on \m/

-AJH

Back