Some of my personal opinions pls don't kill me

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silverwulf said:
This has all been said before in the past. It's funny, actually. It's the same story on the Mark IV. I remember people HATING them when they were released. Common things you heard all the time were...

1. The control layout sucks, it's too hard to dial in!
2. The IIC+/III sounds MUCH better and less compressed!
3. The Mark III is more open and warmer sounding than the lifeless IV!
4. The tone is just missing..."something..."

Fast forward 10 years, all the haters learned to love the Mark IV and the Mark III used prices had plummeted to around $500. You couldn't give them away back around 2000.

Isn't it funny how history repeats itself? Give it 10-15 years and people will be loving the Mark V, Mark IV's will drop in price used, and everyone will be bitching about the Mark VI sucks in comparison to the Mark V.

Amen

shredding said:
I start this thread not for bashing but to allow us to express your honest opinions. I listened to a ton of the mark V clips including the recent miked mark V head+cab clips but none impressed me so far. Don't get me wrong. I'm having one ordered on the way so it's not the sour grape moment for me. (I'm a devoted boogie lover and I had a dc-3, dc-10, a dual recto 3 channel and a triple recto 3 channel currently have the Mark IV and a dual recto 2 channel.) I love the mark sound much better than the recto sound personally.

What I want to say is I just don't find the V's sound (at least from the clips since I never played one myself) too pleasing. RichB has done some clips of his mark IV and Mark II C+ and they absolutely growls but I don't find those characters in the mark V.

Anyone has the same feelings?

So why are you basing any tone opinion on YouTube videos ??
Geez - have you ever made one.
All Youtube vid's are useless for making any judgements on tone.
The compression rate is very high, low & high freqs get clipped off, the bit rate is very low, then it gets played back thru your computer speakers or headphones - end result is what you hear on Youtube does not sound a lot like what you would have heard if you were in the room when the recording was made.

Mp3 files are a bit better. Wav files are a lot better.
There's only one test of tone IMO.
Play it yourself thru your own guitars.

JohnDNJ... if you find that your rig isn't cutting it.. please let me know what day the trash is taken out in your neighboorhood. :lol: You're trash will be cleaned up faster than any other residents! (by me of course, i'm sure ill be fighting the rest of the forumites here though)

dmcguitar said:
JohnDNJ... if you find that your rig isn't cutting it.. please let me know what day the trash is taken out in your neighboorhood. :lol: You're trash will be cleaned up faster than any other residents! (by me of course, i'm sure ill be fighting the rest of the forumites here though)

Haha I'm sure. :p

Newysurfer said:
The compression rate is very high, low & high freqs get clipped off, the bit rate is very low, then it gets played back thru your computer speakers or headphones - end result is what you hear on Youtube does not sound a lot like what you would have heard if you were in the room when the recording was made.

You didn't get my point here. I'm saying comparing the Mark V video to the Mark IV video Richb made, it doesn't impress me at all. I'm not comparing the video to the professional studio recordings. I'm only comparing apples to apples. Plus, when they posted that video of the mark V head recordings, everyone was just saying Hallelujah and if they can't really judge the amp from a video clip, why are they cheering? To me it just doesn't sound impressive.

shredding said:
Newysurfer said:

You didn't get my point here. I'm saying comparing the Mark V video to the Mark IV video Richb made, it doesn't impress me at all. I'm not comparing the video to the professional studio recordings. I'm only comparing apples to apples. Plus, when they posted that video of the mark V head recordings, everyone was just saying Hallelujah and if they can't really judge the amp from a video clip, why are they cheering? To me it just doesn't sound impressive.

And you're missing my point Shredding :mrgreen:
What I'm saying is forget YouTube vid's as any reliable indication of the tone of anything.
Pointless to make any judgements from them, or to compare them with each other, or with anything else.

Now if other people want to have a fantasy that what they hear on a Youtube vid is how it's gonna sound when they play it live with their own guitars - well........
that's their business. Doesn't bother me. I just ignore it.

You're saying that when you compare Vid's of the Mark V with that Mark iV that you're not real impressed - fine.
I'm just saying that if you do an A/B test playing these amps yourself that your opinion is likely to be very different - and it could be in either direction.

I once had an early MkIV "A" version that I did an A/B test to try and match the tone of my C+. Same speakers and tubes for each amp. I could get the tone scary close to the C+ from the MkIV, but the "feel" or dynamics were not the same. The MkII had more bounce and bite to it. I will be very curious to see how the MkV measures up in its C+ mode. 8)

Latest posts

Back