Some of my personal opinions pls don't kill me

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredding

Reaction score
I start this thread not for bashing but to allow us to express your honest opinions. I listened to a ton of the mark V clips including the recent miked mark V head+cab clips but none impressed me so far. Don't get me wrong. I'm having one ordered on the way so it's not the sour grape moment for me. (I'm a devoted boogie lover and I had a dc-3, dc-10, a dual recto 3 channel and a triple recto 3 channel currently have the Mark IV and a dual recto 2 channel.) I love the mark sound much better than the recto sound personally.

What I want to say is I just don't find the V's sound (at least from the clips since I never played one myself) too pleasing. RichB has done some clips of his mark IV and Mark II C+ and they absolutely growls but I don't find those characters in the mark V.

Anyone has the same feelings?

It's not the amp that you are displeased with...it is the playing and the fact that it is not your specific tone. The V, just like any other amp, will be what you make of it. Without your specific settings or specific preferences dialed in...you probably won't enjoy clips from other people. I challenge you to listen to the overtones to see how they will work for you. Listen for the diversity in the sound...

Stimulate your mind brother!!! Don't let the fact that you paid 2000 for an amp you haven't heard mess with you. It will be fabulous.

Mike

Q: How many guitar players does it take to demo a Mark V...

A: One... YOU! :lol:

Until you have that sumbitch in your gear room with you playing through it, it won't sound great to your ears. Everyone that has posted clips hasn't had it that long. Don't worry, it will be fine.

I find that it's so hard to judge a sound from a video camera speaker along with youtube compression on a brand new amp that nobody knows how to dial in yet. I've never owned a boogie amp, let alone a mark series, and have been thru many thoughts on whether or not I've made the right choice in passing up mark iv's to continue to wait for my V.

Fact is, we've gots idle hands right now. I wasn't crazy about the tones on the recent head clips, but I could definetly hear the potential. I think metal wise, the head clips are the closest so far, and every successive attempt will only bring us closer to the V's max capacity.

I thought the IIc+ and IV leads were some of the best and are they not captured in the V? If so, what's the problem? I think we all need some personal time with this amp, as it think it will be more of an instrument than just an amp.

BTW, who said the V was the be all end all answer to metal anyway? And who says my opinion of metal is better than yours? Personally, no amp is truely tested until its mic'd and put in a mix. And, all brands and types of amps have been used to make what we all deem to be metal on an album. I'm confident that the V can be mic'd and mixed and give a metal or blues or rock or jazz sound that when used with the proper axe will give any other amp a run for its money.

Just my thoughts though... :mrgreen:

All this bickering is Mesa's fault for not shipping those amps out sooner!! :evil:

+1 but wait and try it yourself. the mics and recordings are low quality on youtube compared to professional studio recordings...

I'm sure the Mark V is a great amp, there was a looooooooooooooooooong wait period since the Mark IV debuted in the early 90's...

If I wasn't buying a house right now and didn't have a baby, I'd most likely be seriously considering buying one (or a Triaxis???) by now...

The longer you have to sit and think about it the easier it is to start second guessing your decision to buy a $2000.00 amp, thats just the nature of the waiting game. I put no stock in any gear demo videos for anything, computers and camcorders with tiny crappy microphones cant even come close to capturing true musical tones. If I was scared to buy something because of a youtube video I would never buy anything, because I have never seen any video on youtube that sounded worth a **** unless they were professionaly produced. Dont get yourself stressed about the video's, get your amp and give it a go, good thing is that if you absolutely dont like it (i highly doubt it) you will be able to offload it immediately without any cash loss because these things are hot right now and Mesa isnt going to be able to keep up with the demand. Those guys at Mesa really know what they are doing and it's not like there's a bunch of new guys over there off the street that dont know their business (like Gibson has become), im sure they realize that if this model flops after all the time they've put into it it'll be the end of them. Those guys are just too **** good at what they do to build a crappy amp..in my opinion.

I'd like to know what ever happend to AUDIO CLIPS? Why is eveyone running to the video camera to show off a crappy sounding video when an Audio clip is a better representation.

danyeo1 said:
I'd like to know what ever happend to AUDIO CLIPS? Why is eveyone running to the video camera to show off a crappy sounding video when an Audio clip is a better representation.

+1

Audio clips are all I do. In fact, I have been putting backing tracks together in preparation to record my Mark V when it arrives.

danyeo1 said:

+100

Get your sm57s and Mboxes warmed up people! Video camera mics suck huge balls.

Azrehan said:
danyeo1 said:

+100

Get your sm57s and Mboxes warmed up people! ...

+1 on the Audio Clips, -2 on the sm57... way too colored a mic for demoing amps, and the mid peak on them does funny things to a Mark tone, IMO. My new favorite mic for cabs is the Sennheiser e906 - you've got to try it.

I think it's possible to get good sound off camera mic's.

Here is one of me playing thru my Tri\2:90, Lead 2 yellow.
There are 2 other clips under my username if for some reason you
actually like the way I play haha. :p
Tone wise I think it sounds pretty **** good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up974ri3Sjo&feature=channel_page

The mark V is nasally sounding like that last guy's video in person too. You guys may think I'm
just a naysayer but I'm just being honest about what I heard. And even if his camera sucks
"I" can still discern the sound he was getting. It's spot on with what we found as well.
A year or 2 from now when the Mark Vb comes out I'll take another look at after the issues
get ironed out (and you know they will).

danyeo1 said:

Because as crappy as youtube clips are, people perceive them as more "honest" than audio clips like it or not. Lowest common denominator.

There's always that element of missing information that someone may not fully 100% disclose when they post an audio clip, very easy to do so with all the software plugin's out there these days. Not to mention micing techniques, speaker used, multi-tracking, etc.

Melodyman said:
danyeo1 said:

Because as crappy as youtube clips are, people perceive them as more "honest" than audio clips like it or not. Lowest common denominator.

There's always that element of missing information that someone may not fully 100% disclose when they post an audio clip, very easy to do so with all the software plugin's out there these days. Not to mention micing techniques, speaker used, multi-tracking, etc.

And the room itself - I've heard at least one clip posted that sounded like the mic was positioned right on a node. I've heard another where it was pretty obvious that the handycam's AGC was kicking in.

Still, I've heard enough to know that I'll be happier with this amp than the Mark IV. The last clips posted by clintalan were pretty nice though, even with a 57 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmD6on4wo_A ) Those were the first clips that I could clearly discern the amp/preamp compression from everthing else in the signal chain, and the first clips that made me dig the IIC+ setting on channel 3.

Dang... the UPS tracking page shows my amp showed up 32 miles away yesterday at 2:30pm - but no updated status. I was really expeciting "out for delivery" this morning. sigh.

Good points made here. And audio clips? For Sure! And here,s an idea; why not some made by the company that makes the amps?

Anyone care to take a quess to why Mesa would,nt/has,nt put up professionally done clips of their own?

Think of it; some clips done by Petrucci, Andy Timmons, LOG, etc...or just a good employee player... done well, initial pre-orders may have been double what they already were.

The only thing I would quess is they figure, "hey, we,ve never done clips before a major release in the past, and we,ve done pretty well for ourselves!" And who could really argue that?

Still, I think it would have been cool. They have these heavyweight players as endorser,s...may as well put em to use!

JohnDNJ said:

The mark V is nasally sounding like that last guy's video in person too. You guys may think I'm
just a naysayer but I'm just being honest about what I heard. And even if his camera sucks
"I" can still discern the sound he was getting. It's spot on with what we found as well.
A year or 2 from now when the Mark Vb comes out I'll take another look at after the issues

I got rid of my Triaxis/2:90/G-major rig back in January because it wasn't quite doing it for me. I played/owned that set-up for around 8 years before I decided to give it up. After hearing your clip it brought back memories of my old rig.

There is just something in the Mark V and Mark IV clips that the Triaxis couldn't do and I can't describe it but I can certainly hear it. I'm glad you posted that clip because it made me further believe in my decision. Not that your tone/sound in that rig is bad, it just was something I grew out of.

Still can't wait until my head arrives!

vae said:
JohnDNJ said:

I got rid of my Triaxis/2:90/G-major rig back in January because it wasn't quite doing it for me. I played/owned that set-up for around 8 years before I decided to give it up. After hearing your clip it brought back memories of my old rig.

There is just something in the Mark V and Mark IV clips that the Triaxis couldn't do and I can't describe it but I can certainly hear it. I'm glad you posted that clip because it made me further believe in my decision. Not that your tone/sound in that rig is bad, it just was something I grew out of.

Still can't wait until my head arrives!

You're absolutely right. I love the cleans and lead sounds I can get out of the Tri\2:90 but I was never happy with the
crunchy rhythm tones. That's where the IV comes in :)

When my rig is complete I will be able to switch between both the head and the preamp with all sorts
of goodies in between...If I'm not happy with it at that point ill just wheel it out to the curb on trash day haha.

Everyone does know that Petrucci is using the V on the new DT album right?

Listen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qkp7seLQc

Though keep in mind layering and studio magic, but it still sounds good (regardless if you like the song or not.)

This has all been said before in the past. It's funny, actually. It's the same story on the Mark IV. I remember people HATING them when they were released. Common things you heard all the time were...

1. The control layout sucks, it's too hard to dial in!
2. The IIC+/III sounds MUCH better and less compressed!
3. The Mark III is more open and warmer sounding than the lifeless IV!
4. The tone is just missing..."something..."

Fast forward 10 years, all the haters learned to love the Mark IV and the Mark III used prices had plummeted to around $500. You couldn't give them away back around 2000.

Isn't it funny how history repeats itself? Give it 10-15 years and people will be loving the Mark V, Mark IV's will drop in price used, and everyone will be bitching about the Mark VI sucks in comparison to the Mark V.

Latest posts

Back