Some cab advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomiR

Reaction score
So here's what has been bugging me lately:

I own a Single Recto Solo 50 head, which I love to death, but there's only one problem, I have a Orange PPC 412 cab coming my way and it's rated at 16ohm's whereas the Single only has outputs for 4 and 8.

I did read the manual before I ordered the cab, and it stated that the head could be used with a 16ohm cab with no problem whatsoever. Thus I had no worries in ordering the cab.

But I still want to have some input from guys who have used their 8ohm output to a 16ohm cab.

How much does it effect the tone? Not from a theoretical point of view! It doesen't worry me if I can't get the same amount of volume, but as long as it still sounds like the Recto I love.

Thanks in advance guys and hello from Finland!

I have done that mismath many times. I dont think it hurts tone at all, and I didnt notice much of a diff from a matched cabinet. Then again I dont sweat the small stuff. Even if it makes a teeny difference a good player should be able to overcome that small issue.

Hello, and welcome to the board.
Are the speakers 16 ohm's each?
If so, have you thought about rewiring the cab to 4 ohm's?
That would be a very simple project.

tommyhawk13 said:
Hello, and welcome to the board.
Are the speakers 16 ohm's each?
If so, have you thought about rewiring the cab to 4 ohm's?
That would be a very simple project.

Yeah, I had that in mind, but I also have a 16ohm power atteunator, so I would need to replace that as well.

I originally ordered the the atteunator and the cab for my Peavey 6505.

Other amps... I have noticed the biggest difference with sound... but Mesa doesn't seem to have that issue...

Grendeltone said:
Other amps... I have noticed the biggest difference with sound... but Mesa doesn't seem to have that issue...

I was hoping for that :)

Thanks guys for the help!

Well, I got my Orange cab today, and I didn't really notice any difference in my Recto's tone, except for the huge improvement of getting a quality 4X12" to replace my 2X12" Marshall cab.

So yeah, it still sounds like my Recto, and now even better :D

Latest posts

Back