Solo switch vs. clean boost

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but I was always told there were no dumb questions, lol. I have a Roadster head. Is using the solo switch essentially the same as using a clean boost? I never tried using an overdrive or clean boost with my amp, but am very curious if it really makes that big of a difference?

Thanks

jhguitar1 said:
Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but I was always told there were no dumb questions, lol. I have a Roadster head. Is using the solo switch essentially the same as using a clean boost? I never tried using an overdrive or clean boost with my amp, but am very curious if it really makes that big of a difference?

Thanks

The solo switch only raises the volume. With a clean boost, you get more of a sustaining tone.

Then again, I could be wrong.

jhguitar1 said:

Thanks

The Solo control is wired in parallel with the output control. It is a second Master Volume control that sends a louder signal to the power section when selected.

Using a clean boost in front of the amp will also make the amp a little louder but it does so by pushing or overdriving the preamp well before it hits the MV (or Solo) control, also adding more gain and compression to the signal (and noise).

Dom

They really are two different animals IMO.

Latest posts

Back