solo,output, master..what is my 2 channel rec missing out on

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
hey! thanks for the suggestions to my past question! There's a lot a rook like me can learn from you mesa vets. Definately not ashamed to admit it.
Got a few more questions. Mind you, I have a two channel dual rec.

1. A) what does the solo knob on the newer three channel models bring to the table. the two channel doesn't have it. What am i missing out on!!! does it effect tone/loudness/gain level, etc?
B) what can i use to make up for the lack of this function?

2. I've heard that el 34s give the amp more gain...true or not...and do they make the amp sound more like my marshall dsl. I worry if i do that i'll lose the whole reason i bought a mesa...THAT SWEET RECTIFIER SOUND! thoughts?

3. whats the correct way to get the most usable gain. i've heard put the channel volume up more and then leave the master active loop knob lower ( i take it, thats the same thing as an output knob). and how does the master active loop knob work in conjuction with the send loop knob in the back

Hello.....

1) the solo function adds volume only

2) if you have a serial loop you can use a volume pedal or a volume box in the loop, if it's a parallel loop then a volume control won't work well in the loop. You could always get the loop modded or try something like a "seymour duncan pick up booster". It'll boost the distortion more than the clean channel, it'll add a little more gain to the channel too (even the clean channel).

3) If you run the channel volume pretty high and the master lower, then you are driving the preamp harder and you will get a little more saturation.......Or you could check in to an attenuator and push the power amp harder.

Hope this helps, sorry to be so short and to the point but I gotta get to work.

TJ

Do you use effects? Or, do you use effects in your amps effects loop? 1st, the solo knob on the newer three channel amps is only active when the effects loop is engaged, then it is basically a volume boost for solos! And just as with a three channel model, the overall master, (loop active on your two channel) is activated only when the effects loop is engaged, just a tool to adjust the overall volume of all the channels! If you don't use effects in your amp's loop, I'd leave the loop bypassed for better tone! The channel masters (of course) become your volume controls, with no solo boost, your guitar's volume, a smart band, or a nice sound-person should get you by! The EL34's won't give you more gain, they will shift some frequencies around, more in the direction of a Marshall, tighter bottom, more mids! The Rectifier aggression will still be there! They're a nice alternative to the sizzly 6L6's!

What is your two channel Dual Rec missing out on? Umm, pops, buzziness, fizzes, lack of organics? Your two channel is the shizzle, not the fizzle! Love it, embrace it, crank it! :twisted:

Back