solo,output, master..what is my 2 channel rec missing out on

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
hey! thanks for the suggestions to my past question! There's a lot a rook like me can learn from you mesa vets. Definately not ashamed to admit it.
Got a few more questions. Mind you, I have a two channel dual rec.

1. A) what does the solo knob on the newer three channel models bring to the table. the two channel doesn't have it. What am i missing out on!!! does it effect tone/loudness/gain level, etc?
B) what can i use to make up for the lack of this function?

2. I've heard that el 34s give the amp more gain...true or not...and do they make the amp sound more like my marshall dsl. I worry if i do that i'll lose the whole reason i bought a mesa...THAT SWEET RECTIFIER SOUND! thoughts?

3. whats the correct way to get the most usable gain. i've heard put the channel volume up more and then leave the master active loop knob lower ( i take it, thats the same thing as an output knob). and how does the master active loop knob work in conjuction with the send loop knob in the back

A--the solo knob is there to give you a "solo boost." it's just extra volume for when you play a solo. it's not really necessary. you can get around that with an eq pedal, a distortion pedal, your guitar's volume knob, signal booster...a whole mess of things. it's definitely not a do/die feature.

B--el34's giving the amp more gain, IMO, is a misnomer. It's just a different tube type. It will make it sound a little marhsall-like, BUT it will still sound like a mesa rectifier. The vintage mode will most be affected by el34's since this is the closest thing to "marshall" on the recitfiers. If you put el34's, expect to gain some tightness and some upper harmonics. The sweet rectifier sound TO ME is the 6l6 sound--that big bass sound.

C--This differs by taste, but the best way to set up the knobs are backwards to what you stated. You should put the Output knob higher and the channel master lower.

good luck.

Think of the signal chain like this:

Gain > Tone Stack > Ch Master > Loop Send > Loop Active Master > Power Amp

Try starting with the Loop Active Master up around 12:00, and the Send around 1:00. Bring the channel masters up to the volume you want. Adjust the Send until there is no change in volume when footswitching the loop on/off. This is "unity gain" and is probably where you want to keep it if you are running effects in the loop. You can turn up the Send a bit more to have a footswitchable volume boost for soloing. You can also connect the Send and Return jacks with a short patch cable, turn the Send way up and get more gain/distortion (IMO doesnt sound too great but some folks like it).

The "Solo" feature on the 3-ch Recto's is just a second master vol wired in parallel with the Output (Loop active master) for a footswitchable boost. No change in gain/tone...just louder.

Back