Solo Boost for Express 5:25 - Tubescreamer?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm

Reaction score
I'm playing with my Strat straight into Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 1x10. Killer amp, but I want a pedal as a solo boost. Tried an OCD, and the **** thing is too bassy with this amp. I'd like to just try a TS pedal, but not really sure where to go. Thinking of maybe an FD-2, but that might be overkill for me.

Then the Maxon OD808 and TS9's caught my eye. Thoughts?

Just looking for something to cut through for solos....and I don't want an EQ pedal or Compressor. One more catch...I'd like it to be something that I can pickup at my local GC, only because I have store credit there too use.

I have the same amp and played it with a TS9 tube screamer this weekend and I didn't like the sound at all. It was a little to harsh for my ears. I also plugged the pedal into my Gibson Skylark and lost alot of bottom end. Maybe the pedal is ill suited to those amps or it's just a matter of personal taste.

rdm said:
I'm playing with my Strat straight into Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 1x10. Killer amp, but I want a pedal as a solo boost. Tried an OCD, and the **** thing is too bassy with this amp. I'd like to just try a TS pedal, but not really sure where to go. Thinking of maybe an FD-2, but that might be overkill for me.

Just looking for something to cut through for solos....and I don't want an EQ pedal or Compressor. One more catch...I'd like it to be something that I can pickup at my local GC, only because I have store credit there too use.

Not surprised - the OCD is not a boosting pedal - it's designed mainly as a standalone distortion pedal.
Most of the Tubescreamers work great as coloured boosters of amp distortion provided you keep the gain low and the volume high on the pedal. I have an Fulltone Mosfet 11 and an Analogman mod'ed Maxon TS-808. Both fantastic boosters and I prefer the Maxon but you can't go wrong with any of the TS-808, TS-9 or OD-9 family of tubescreamers IMO.

Have you considered a clean boost, rather than anything that will introduce gain. I use the Keeley Katana for this and it is excellent. Not sure if it's available at Guitar Center though.

Simon

BBE Boosta Grande Clean Boost, in the effects loop for volume boost, in the front of the amp for gain boost.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/BBE-Boosta-Grande-Clean-Boost-Effect-Pedal-104014220-i1124918.gc

Hey Guys,

I also have the same amp. I also tired 2 different tube screamers, hated the tone.

I have found that the clean channel and the Burn channel do not like the same pedals. What works for one channel, sounds totally different on the other.

Now I settled on this, for the Burn Channel.

I have two Boosts, I use the MI-Audio Boost n Buff. Sounds awesome. Has one for gain and one for Volume, gain before 12 o'clock is a flat boost, than from 1 -3 o'clock is a treble boost, then fuzz after that.

I also use a 7 Band eq, allows you to shape the tone and and how much extra volume. I got a cheap one on Ebay with a 7 band EQ and an overall volume.

I also found that the boost only work well in the effects loop, If I place them before the amp, it just adds more distortion, not volume.

So I can hit the Boost and Buff, straight into a solo, than back or hit the EQ.

So far seems to be working for me.

I also have a Xotic BB Preamp, but I am running that as a Small distortion boost, works well on the Burn channel, but the gain must me set really low, or feedback!!!!

MI - Audio Crunch Box sounds awesome on the Clean Channel, I can then use the Boost and buff or Eq for a solo boost.

Hope that helps. Still learning to get a handle on all these pedals.

Gezza.

Newysurfer said:
rdm said:

Not surprised - the OCD is not a boosting pedal - it's designed mainly as a standalone distortion pedal.
Most of the Tubescreamers work great as coloured boosters of amp distortion provided you keep the gain low and the volume high on the pedal. I have an Fulltone Mosfet 11 and an Analogman mod'ed Maxon TS-808. Both fantastic boosters and I prefer the Maxon but you can't go wrong with any of the TS-808, TS-9 or OD-9 family of tubescreamers IMO.

I've used the OCD with other amps and pedals as a boost. Yeah...it's made as a standalone OD, but depending on how/where you stack it in the chain you can get some really nice results.

Hey RDM,

I didn't want to hi-jack your post.

So have a look at my updated Pedalboard post.

Yeah! I never thought I would have that many pedals. (never say never)

It's all about the tone.

Gezza.

gezza said:
Hey Guys,

I also have the same amp. I also tired 2 different tube screamers, hated the tone.

I have found that the clean channel and the Burn channel do not like the same pedals. What works for one channel, sounds totally different on the other.

Now I settled on this, for the Burn Channel.

I have two Boosts, I use the MI-Audio Boost n Buff. Sounds awesome. Has one for gain and one for Volume, gain before 12 o'clock is a flat boost, than from 1 -3 o'clock is a treble boost, then fuzz after that.

I also use a 7 Band eq, allows you to shape the tone and and how much extra volume. I got a cheap one on Ebay with a 7 band EQ and an overall volume.

I also found that the boost only work well in the effects loop, If I place them before the amp, it just adds more distortion, not volume.

So I can hit the Boost and Buff, straight into a solo, than back or hit the EQ.

So far seems to be working for me.

I also have a Xotic BB Preamp, but I am running that as a Small distortion boost, works well on the Burn channel, but the gain must me set really low, or feedback!!!!

MI - Audio Crunch Box sounds awesome on the Clean Channel, I can then use the Boost and buff or Eq for a solo boost.

Hope that helps. Still learning to get a handle on all these pedals.

Gezza.

Interesting Gezza cause you've just highlighted some apparent differences between the 5:25 and the 5:50.
The different power tube types probably accounts for this.
The clean channel & burn channel are both equally compatible with all pedals on the 5:50 and I'm yet to find 1 pedal that's not great thru the 5:50. Tubescreamers also work great as coloured boosters with the 5:50.
EQ pedals and the Crunchbox are great with anything though :mrgreen:

I picked up a TS9 and it pretty much sounds like *** with the lead channel and sounds OK with the rhythm channel. Going to most likely try a Boost N Buff.

I really like the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive with mine. Clean boost alone or dial in some dirt. I got it at GC by the way.

Back