Solo 50 Single Rectifier sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SYMO

Reaction score
Hi everyone new member here from australia.........i have a question.

I am interested in buying my very first Mesa Boogie, i am looking at the Solo 50 Single Rectifier basically because its cheaper than a Dual, or Triple, and also ive heard that they are very good too.................the sound im looking for is that of Pat O'Brien from Cannibal Corpse, he uses a Triple Rectifier straight up and my question is, can i get the same sound from a Solo 50?..........how much overdrive is possible from this amp?

I do plan on getting a 4X12 Mesa Standard cab also, so anyone out there that could possibly post a clip of the 50 fully cranked, palm mutes etc would help me a great deal on deciding on my next and final amp i hope.

Thanx guys! :wink:

I just had a listen on amazon.com

He has a very nice tone.

If you can afford if I would look into a Dual Rectifier
It will get you closer to his tone then a Single would.

As for overdrive unless you a using single coils you can get as much overdrive as he has if not more.

Personally...since the single, dual, and triple are all voiced exactly the same as far as the gain stage is concerned, I think the only REAL difference other than features...is useable headroom before power tube saturation. Meaning that you will be a little louder with a dual, and even a smidge louder still with the triple. THe single is basically the same accept is is always set to bold power and silicon diode rectification. Also one has to remember that a guitar sound on a CD by anyband sounds that way due to MANY factors. Type of mic used to record, guitar, cabinet, the live room it was recorded in...so on. I bet if I recorded my jag through a single, dual, and a triple ALL that the same volumes with the same mics, not many could tell which one was which. I seriously doubt I could. Needless to say, the single is a 50 watt MONSTER and you won't be sorry. my 2 cents

Yeah Humbility youre right, i read about headroom, and that you can get that valve saturation quicker on the 50, which suits me fine, but can you tell me exactly what is bold power and silicon diode rectification?
Also yeah i realise there are many elements in capturing "a" sound from a CD but getting the foundation is critical, mainly i am very interested in hearing a 50 cranked, nothing like actually hearing it for yourself, and being in australia limited mesa boogie retail.

Are you sure he just uses a a triple rec without any pedals, cuz that doesn't sound like just a triple rec to me.

I've heard people talking about trying to get the Canibal Corpse guitar sound and usually mentioned a Metal Zone.

Hey Ken how are ya dude, this is what im trying to find out also, ive actually posted him this question on the official forum, but im pretty well going on the Wretched Spawn DVD, where he goes through his gear, flying v thru a Triple Rectifier, nice and simple................and you believe that this sound is unattainable with just the amp? hmmmm interesting.............i too have heard Meatalzone pop up now and then but nothing concrete as of yet, hopefully the man himself will tell me...will see.

I'm sure I still have that MT2 (metal zone) laying around somewhere...
I may smack that down on my solo 50 tomorrow.

Last night was the first I've jammed with my relatively new single recto and a drummer, and it kept up just fine! I wasn't even HALF way into the output!

Headroom Schmeadroom.
That's what mic's/PA or the slave-out are for! :D :roll:

SYMO said:
Can you tell me exactly what is bold power and silicon diode rectification?
Both are rear panel options on the Solo 50's big brothers. Bold Power referring to a Variac switch, which essentially "browns" or "sags" the incoming voltage? Silicon Diode's are an option of the Rectifier circuit, (which changes AC to DC), the Tube option being the "normal" position of this switch. Both are what you might call a "vintage purists" dream option! Although the Solo 50 does not include these options, I doubt you would employ them in a modern metal situation, so I say a Solo 50 would be fine!

Yo Cellardweller, dude that would be sweet man.

I just got back from the official Cannibal Corpse forums, i went thru a tonne of posts and found something, from Alex Webster (Bass).....
"Pat pretty much always uses a Boss Metal Zone pedal for rhythm guitar"

There you have it...........you were right Ken :wink:

Cellardweller, how is the 50 man? what you mainly play dude? If you can possibly make a clip too id appreciate it cheers man :)

Thanx Jbird, youre right i wouldnt.

Latest posts

Back