softening a .50+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1701

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any way to soften a .50+ tonally? I find it's really bold and punchy even with lots of gain. That's a good thing a lot of the time, but other times I'd like a little looser feel and sound--not so much spank. Any ideas?

what sort of change are you looking for, sorry for my ignorance of your tonal description. are you looking for a "softer" gain ? what sort of rig are you playing through, pedals, etc.

i recently changed the pickups in my 333 to a classic 57 and a burstbucker and it is now a holy combo. classic rock though, not trying to metal out.

stokes said:
Try a 5751 in V1, to soften it even more try a 12AY7 in V1.

+1. Go with the US JAN Philips 5751. As for power tubes, anything BUT JJs should help out. I tried JJs in my 50+ for a week, and they are just too much. I currently have SED =C=, and also like the Ruby 6L6GCs.

I'd *start* with a good 12AT7 in the PI slot. In my DC5, I've found that one change makes the single biggest difference in "softening" the attack, smoothing out the overdrive and making the cleans more "chimey,"yet not altering too much the overall tonal character of the amp.

Then, I'd experiment with 5751s and AT7s in various slots, one spot at a time. You may find that you prefer the tone of an AX7 in one position but a 5751 or AT7 in another. Use each preamp's role as a guide, but the definitive "test" is whether you like the tone and dynamics. FWIW, in all my amps, I ended up with a variety of 5751, AX7 and AT7 tubes in various slots. Once you arrive at your magic recipe, time to experiment with power tubes... :)

Edward

I'm currently running TAD 6L6s, but I mostly have the standard preamp tubes by JJ.

I'm kinda looking for a little smoother, more tweed twin feel--while still retaining the singing lead tone which it does in spades.

someone also asked me to run down my list of stuff. I'm using the head with a new traynor 2x12 ext cab (Celestion 70/80s). I have a Carl Martin Red Repeat in the effects loop. My Strat goes to a Keeley compressor, a Thomas Organ crybaby (modded), and finally an Option 5 Destination Rotation Single. A very simple setup in the end.

I just find the amp a little chirpy in the midrange. I like how fat, round, and legato it is. I like the endless sustain. It's just a little too strident--in your face. I want it to purr more. Does this make any sense?

kirk1701 said:
...I just find the amp a little chirpy in the midrange. I like how fat, round, and legato it is. I like the endless sustain. It's just a little too strident--in your face. I want it to purr more. Does this make any sense?

Actually, it makes plenty of sense. If I were you, I'd first go with a good 12AT7 in the PI ...given what you describe, I think you'll be very pleased. Next, identify your preamp tube slots, if you haven't done so already. Isolate the Clean channel and Lead channel positions and work on them independently. On the 50cal, I can't recall how discrete vs shared each gain stage is, so that will affect how you swap your tubes. And of course, V1 affects both channels significantly.

On that latter note, you may or may not want to gain down the V1, as it will affect your dynamics and tone of the OD that I "think" you're liking so much. Think of it this way: if gaining down the V1 helps one channel, but now you don't like how it changed the other channel, put the orig AX7 back in the V1 and now try to gain down the channel that you *did* like in the previous attempt. I hope that make sense? BTW, you can "tune out" (so to speak) some of that midrange you don't like with AT7s as these tend to have less "middy" quality about them compared to AX7s.

Keep in mind these are generalizations, and each amp and tube will vary (so start with a few good tubes!). Ultimately, let your ears and fingers be your guide as there really is no substitute for experimenting. FWIW, I achieved what you want in my DC5, the 50cal successor. It turned an amp that I really did like into a keeper that I will never get rid of! :)

Edward

Latest posts

Back