SOB Speaker Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musical123

Reaction score
I have an old SOB with a celestion classic lead 80 speaker in it. I am finding it a little to muddy for my taste (maybe I still need to tweak it a bit). Has anyone used this speaker before and are they known to be om the low end?

I have an avatar cab with an eminence red coat red coat in it which is rated at 8 ohms & 50 W. I am thinking of hooking it up to the 4 ohm output of the SOB while keeping the celestion hooked up to the 8 ohm jack. Is this OK to do? I see in other mesa manuals that they recommend mixing and matching speakers and impedances.

Just checking, thanks

I believe Mesa recommends (first, anyway), connecting one 8 ohm speaker to each of the 4 ohm jacks,
leaving the 8 ohm jack empty.
This won't create a mis-match.
It won't kill the amp to do it your way, but
the power tubes will wear out a tad faster.

I like CL80s a fair bit. They are pretty "flat" compared to a lot fo speakers but aren't hi-fi sounding; they are definitely not spiky like a V30 but I wouldn't call them muddy at all. I have a 2x12 with one EVM-12 and a CL80 and really like the sound with my MK III.

I'd suggest making sure you don't have too much bass, I don't know about SOBs but on most Marks the bass sweet spot is between 0 and 3 depending on your pickups, turn the bass all the way down and start dialing it up until you like what you hear!

Latest posts

Back