Soak resistor required for silent recording on Mk4 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another question while waiting to pick up my Mk4 : do you need a soak resistor when silent recording as per the warning in the manual ? I'm assuming/hoping this is just a general warning but I want to be sure !

Thanks all.

Yes you must ALWAYS have some sort of load connected to the speaker outputs when the amp is turned on.

But the speaker isn't disconnected when silent recording so doesn't this act as a load ?

If not, do I need an attenuator like a Hotplate if I want to record silently ?

Yes, the speaker will be the load. The recording circuit is just shorting the preamp signal to the phase inverter which feeds the power tubes. The speaker connection is still needed so you do not fry your output transformer.

Boogiebabies said:
Yes, the speaker will be the load. The recording circuit is just shorting the preamp signal to the phase inverter which feeds the power tubes. The speaker connection is still needed so you do not fry your output transformer.

What he said :)

You're probably not going to be very happy with the tone that comes from that line out. Don't get your hopes up too high.

No, fair enough. I used to have a DC-3 and the line out from that sucked. Big disappointment after previously owning a Studio Preamp which sounded fantastic, but I guess that's a different beast.

It's unlikely I'd use it much anyway. I have a Pod and a Sansamp which are great for recording, and the Mark IV recording out would have to be sensational for me to lug it up the stairs to my music room.

Best way to get a silent recording from a MKIV that I have found, is connect a Digitech GSP 1101 with the 4 cable method, take the mixer outs direct to recorder, with cab simulation on. You are really only using the pre section of the MKIV but I think the results are good.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=842778

Alternatively, try a Grendel Dead Room, which is not "silent" recording but will sound more like a "cranked amp". I also use a hotplate in this scenario so I can have the main output up around 7 while maintaining bedroom levels.

Good luck, and keep experimenting...

Kazak said:
Best way to get a silent recording from a MKIV that I have found, is connect a Digitech GSP 1101 with the 4 cable method, take the mixer outs direct to recorder, with cab simulation on. You are really only using the pre section of the MKIV but I think the results are good.
There is a better alternative then this method, instead of relying on the preamp out of the Mk IV to return to the GSP use the slave out instead, that way all of the MK IV signal including the poweramp runs through the GSP with the speaker emulation turned on. To do this silently however I do use a Hotplate (set to load) in place of a speaker.

Back