so I'm sending the Mark IV on its epic journey

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan_kilco

Reaction score
to MD to get worked on. I found someone who is going to basically make my amp like-new again. He gave me a price of $50, not including parts.

I'm going to have my footswitch repaired as well, and I am going to get the amp retubed.

Any recommendations on tubes? I've only ever used 2 kinds of tubes in my life, and I havent experimented yet enough to know which combinations I like.

Any input would be awesome!

Of course this depends on what you play and what guitar you play and what you want it to sound like!

You could go for the 6L6/EL34 combo? Many combinations before even starting to decide on brands etc...

zebpedersen said:
Of course this depends on what you play and what guitar you play and what you want it to sound like!

You could go for the 6L6/EL34 combo? Many combinations before even starting to decide on brands etc...
I dont really like the EL34's too much, I tried some of those allready.

I really dont know a whole lot about tubes, thus why I ask what you guys think sounds good.

I play in 2 metal bands....I want a tight, clear, punchy tone...yet...raunchy. The album that really inspired me to check out a Mark IV was Lamb of God's 'As the Palaces Burn'....dirty/raunchy tones, yet cutting and punishing.

I seem to get too much high-end with the GT power and Sovtek pres I had it in before....
so, maybe something to drop the high end a bit and smooth out the fizzy-ness.

you could try Groove Tubes 12AX7M in V1 and V3. Those tubes sound really good in my MKIV and Dual Recto. It'll smooth out the fizz pretty well.... in my experience. Electro Harmonix 12AX7's will do good as well. For power tubes I would either go with SED Winged C 6L6's or perhaps JJ 6L6 tubes. The JJ's are pretty aggresive when pushed hard and will possibly give you that (Lamb Of God) metal tone your looking for.

RoadKinger483 said:
you could try Groove Tubes 12AX7M in V1 and V3. Those tubes sound really good in my MKIV and Dual Recto. It'll smooth out the fizz pretty well.... in my experience. Electro Harmonix 12AX7's will do good as well. For power tubes I would either go with SED Winged C 6L6's or perhaps JJ 6L6 tubes. The JJ's are pretty aggresive when pushed hard and will possibly give you that (Lamb Of God) metal tone your looking for.
thanks man! Im not really looking to acheive Lamb's exact tone, but they are what sorta inspired me to check out these amps.

I think I might go with JJ's this time around for power. I guess I just need to keep trying different setups.

no prob..... I personally find that the Mark IV series amps are particullar to cab choice. While I think a 4x12 cab is a must for this amp to be truly enjoyed a descent 2x12 cab such as a recto 2x12 cab or VHT 2x12 cab will definitely lend it self into your direction.

Good luck. I would personally never send my Mark IV to anyone except Mesa, where it came from. The amp is too complex and there are too many stupid techs out there. I've heard way too many stories of people sending their Marks to techs and the amp being completely devoid of it's original "magic" when it returns. I say get it back and send it to Mesa.

RoadKinger483 said:
you could try Groove Tubes 12AX7M in V1 and V3.
Has GT resolved the quality/realibility issues with these? Thanks.

Good luck. I would personally never send my Mark IV to anyone except Mesa, where it came from. The amp is too complex and there are too many stupid techs out there. I've heard way too many stories of people sending their Marks to techs and the amp being completely devoid of it's original "magic" when it returns. I say get it back and send it to Mesa.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's why you send it to a Mesa Authorized Tech, like me. Don't send it to a dumb ***.

If a guy takes his Mercedes to the Toyota dealership, then he deserves what he gets.

Don't give the good techs a bad name!

I don't think so, I have a couple that sounded in-frick-in credible for about 10 minutes. Then just started making horrible noises.

Too bad......

i've never had any problems with my 12AX7M's. they've always been quiet and reliable with my stuff. The 12AX7C is another REALLY GOOD, WELL BALANCED tube. China has been making some pretty good stuff lately.

RoadKinger483 said:
i've never had any problems with my 12AX7M's. they've always been quiet and reliable with my stuff.
When did you buy them?

Monsta-Tone said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's why you send it to a Mesa Authorized Tech, like me. Don't send it to a dumb ***.

If a guy takes his Mercedes to the Toyota dealership, then he deserves what he gets.

Don't give the good techs a bad name!

I don't think so, I have a couple that sounded in-frick-in credible for about 10 minutes. Then just started making horrible noises.

Too bad......
oh yeah and you are an authorized tech?

:D Yep. most definitely.

They have placed me in what they call "Phase 1" category. Which means that there is simply not enough warranty work in my area, but as soon as there is, I will be listed on their website. That's why I've been reaching out on the internet. I live in a tiny town in souther New Mexico, I think there are only 2 new Boogies in my county. :lol:

Monsta-Tone said:
:D Yep. most definitely.

They have placed me in what they call "Phase 1" category. Which means that there is simply not enough warranty work in my area, but as soon as there is, I will be listed on their website. That's why I've been reaching out on the internet. I live in a tiny town in souther New Mexico, I think there are only 2 new Boogies in my county. :lol:
hmm....well....can you maybe help me out? or should i just ship it to Mesa themselves? You guys are right and after I Thought about this, I really do not want to send my amp to some random person...but...you are also a random person to me....its hard to trust anyone online....but let me know.

PM me with the amp's information. What version, A or B, what issues it has, etc.

Have you tried all of the functions yet? Loop, EQ, etc.

What is the footswitch doing? Or, not doing?

What was the other guy going to do for your amp?

dude, seriously, try the GT-6L6-CHP high performance black plate, they are awesome, if you want softer attack, go with a 1-4 power rating. Once you have them installed, give them a good several hours of playing before you pass final judgement, they seem to need some operating time to get really cranking.

for pre amp tubes, the the Groove tubes 12AX7M is a dark sounding pre tube, you may like it. ...personally i like the GT 12AX7C, because of its warmth and high gain.

Another good preamp choice for the Mark IV is the Tungsol 12AX7, high gain, pretty low noise.

use a 12AT7 for your reverb.

good luck bro,

Force

trem said:
Force said:
use a 12AT7 for your reverb.
...only if it's a revision A.
im not totally sure what version it is....

its the short head....serial number is IV-010217..I think I memorized it... :lol:

has the detachable power cable.....

i rarely use reverb, maybe for recording but that really hasnt happened yet.

I had GT's....not exactly sure which ones..but I think they were black plate....

power rating was a 3 I think. I cant be sure as these tubes are now in my 5150.

sounds like a "B" w/ the detachable cord, which is the newer version with he "gainier" R2 channel.

btw, I used to have a 5150 2x12 60 watter, seemed it liked any power tubes, it didn't care much, it was gonna just produce gobs and gobs of gain no matter what!! I actually ran it in tandem with my Mark IV for awhile, but then I went to the Nomad 45 which I love even more now. My God what a cool little amp that EL84 Nomad is, now I see what all the gushing is over these lil EL84 monsters!! Well, that's another post though isn't it :?:

anyway, i have run the JJ's tubes in the Mark with success, and I have also had the Electro Harmonics 6L6 & EL34's in combination and they did a fine job. At that time, I also used the 12AX7EH preamp tubes and they were very "gainy" you might like them, you might find them a tad noisy though, all depends whether hat is an issue, and unless your recording it may not be a big deal.
I also used the Tungsol tubes, which i think i mentioned already, but they are a good choice if you are going for gain.

In terms of gain, either Bob at Eurotubes, or one of the dudes at Groove Tubes SAG group (I have dealt with Myles in the past) can hook you up with specifically matched preamp tubes and can hand select whatever you need, say for your driver tube, etc.

Well, i am only one person, there are tons of opinions on tubes, I have only tried a handful, so ask around as there is a lot to learn i admit. I have heard some Mesa guys like the recommendation they get from "Dougs Tubes" as well. He sells a combination of different tubes he recommends to use together. just go to www.dougstubes.com and check it out or give them a call. I have not tried his combination, but I plan to next go round.

Ultimately, you will find what sounds good to your ears, and if you are happy with your sound and enjoying it, then others will too....

May the tone be with you!

peace,
Force

Latest posts

Back