So I think I've decided on a Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After much research, I think I'm going to start looking for a used Mesa Roadster head.

I was wondering if there were any significant changes in the model through it's life that would make it worth it to buy one year over another?

Also, what is a good price for a used head in very good (almost new) shape? There is currently one for sale locally used for $1700, is this a good price?

Finally, how do you guys think that other high end amps compare to the Roadster (i.e. Framus Cobra, Engl Fireball/Powerball, Splawn Nitro, Bogner Ubershall, Diezel, Rivera Knucklehead, Soldano Hot Rod, VHT Pitbull, etc.) I don't have the means to test most of these, but I figure if I'm gonna plunk down a decent amount of cash on a head, I might as well explore all my options. If anyone has any favorable things to say about these that may be worth trying to find and play, I'll do so.

I play everything from clean acoustic, reggae, ska, classic rock, hard rock, punk, to metal. I think that the roadster shines in it's verstility that a lot of the other high-end high gain amps may lack. I have a Marshall JCM-900 half stack, and love the marshall sound, so it would be a plus if the roadster can get into that territory. I usually play cleans/reggae/offbeat ska through a Fender, and hoping this amp can do that as well.

Any opinions and answers are much appreciated!!

Thanks!

If its in good condition, $1700 sounds fair.

I owned a 2006 Roadster for about a year. This might have been one of the earlier models and I never had a single issue with it. There have been reports of channel switching and reverb bugs, but mine was fine.

From what I found using the stock tubes, the best non-Recto tones in this amp are all low gain sounds. Lightly dirty Brit crunch and Tweed raunch are really sweet sounding. Also, I got an incredible low gain jazz fusion tone, ala Charlie Hunter, using channel 3 on Vintage with the gain set real low around 9:00.

On the downside, the infamous Recto fizz enters the sound once the gain knob passes about 10:00 (on any channel), and if you're trying to find a more vintage kind of overdrive, the fizz sort of gets in the way. I sold it mainly for two reasons:

1. I could not get a high gain lead tone out of it whatsoever without the fizz. At the time I was on a quest for an amp that did every sound I wanted (a tall order, indeed), and for my tastes the lead tones just had too much fizz. I found my lead tone in the Mark series.

The clean modes break up too early. (Remember, I had the stock tubes.) If you're looking for that raunch, the amp delivers it wonderfully. But for squeaky clean at high volumes I had to switch to my strat and use single coils to keep it clean.

I never tried any of the other amps you mentioned, so I cannot compare for you. But the Roadster IS very versatile! And many people get satisfactory lead tones from it, but those tones weren't for me. I will say that it had the most incredible high gain chug on the orange and red channels. It is 110% Dual Rectifier bliss on these channels. The Brit mode also sounds really good. I had it sounding like Ride the Lightning with the treble cranked and the bass all the way down. It will most likely fill the hole in your soul left by your missing Marshall.

I really do miss my Roadster. I would love to own a Rectifier head again, but they're just so overpriced its hard to justify again. I can build a whole monster rack system for what one of these heads cost. At the end of the day, I'd absolutely recommend the Roadster.

If you love the Marshall sound, Stick with a Marshall or you'll be disappointed like me.

If you're into the Marshall thing, maybe try a Stiletto? That gets you closer to the Marshall relm but still is a Mesa. Or Mark IV/V.

IMO, all of the "post 3000" rectifiers sound a little muddy. (i happen to like that) All of those boutique amps you mentioned have excellent warmth and clarity. 2 things that have never been the rectifier series strenghts. The bogners and are basically "super marshalls". The Framus and Engl's are the ultimate metal machines. The VHT's and Diezels are closer to the recto sound but tighter and with more clarity. Also, all these amps have HUGE price tags. And getting them serviced or repaired for warranty work can be frustrating.

I would stick with Mesa. If the recto sound is not for you, mesa has other options.

droptrd said:
If you're into the Marshall thing, maybe try a Stiletto? That gets you closer to the Marshall relm but still is a Mesa. Or Mark IV/V.

I agree... Sort of...
I would say that if you are happy with the sound of a Marshall, then the Stiletto series would be a great fit. I tried out a Deuce and a Trident a few years ago. From what I remember, I thought that they sounded great, but sounded too much like a Marshall, which wasn't what I was looking for. However, I can't honestly say that the Mark series (of which I have two of) sounds close to a Marshall. It's just personal opinion though.

placeboeffect81 said:
Finally, how do you guys think that other high end amps compare to the Roadster (i.e. Framus Cobra, Engl Fireball/Powerball, Splawn Nitro, Bogner Ubershall, Diezel, Rivera Knucklehead, Soldano Hot Rod, VHT Pitbull, etc.) I don't have the means to test most of these, but I figure if I'm gonna plunk down a decent amount of cash on a head, I might as well explore all my options. If anyone has any favorable things to say about these that may be worth trying to find and play, I'll do so.

I play everything from clean acoustic, reggae, ska, classic rock, hard rock, punk, to metal. I think that the roadster shines in it's verstility that a lot of the other high-end high gain amps may lack. I have a Marshall JCM-900 half stack, and love the marshall sound, so it would be a plus if the roadster can get into that territory. I usually play cleans/reggae/offbeat ska through a Fender, and hoping this amp can do that as well.
Bogner Ecstasy 101b! If you want tone and versatility combined into one, like the Marshall sound, and want something that will never leave you disappointed, it's really worth checking one of these out. They're American made, so service is easy enough to have done. Regarding its tone, the XTC will give you many, many options that the Roadster also possesses, but with more of a Marshall flavor.

I love the Recto line, but I don't think I would really consider a Roadster or Road King unless I needed that much versatility in one set. My Triple Recto is by far my favorite amp, but I don't like the way Rectos sound for lead work. As for other tones? Well unfortunately, with the fixed bias, I find the Rectos don't really blend notes together very well unless they're turned up REALLY loud. I guess my point is that I love the Recto line for the quintessential Recto tone, but I wouldn't get one for anything else. That's what I love about my XTC; it'll do anything and sound unbelievable!

Latest posts

Back