So I think I got screwed on eBay...Ibanez guys please read

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrobattery

Reaction score
So I saw an RG 350EX on eBay and the seller claimed that he swapped the original neck for a 550 neck. I already had an original Floyd Rose and some EMG's kicking around, so I couldn't help but want the guitar. So I contacted the seller and asked if there was a price he'd end the auction early for. He said he'd sell me the guitar plus a gig bag and ship it to me for $350. How could I say no? So I sent him the money via PayPal, he pulled the auction, and I thought all was well. Well, the guitar showed up today...and the neck feels like total garbage. It has a pretty beefy neck on it, and the quality is horrible. The neck on my junker 270 is nicer than this thing. Now I'll admit I've never played a 550 in person, but I was under the impression that these were pretty badass guitars. Did I get screwed or were there actually terrible 550's made in 2002 that had an AANJ?

The 550 should have an Ibanez Wizard neck, that is thinner than the Wizard II which is on my 470. I don't think they quit making the 550 until at least 02, when they started adding 1's in front of all their guitars and adding prestige necks to more models (They have really stepped up their game when it comes to the 700-900 dollar price range-awesome guitars). Anyways, I was looking at the 570 when I bought my 470, and the only differences were the Edge bridge, the original wizard neck, and colors (i got the 470 because it was available in black, the 570 wasn't). So, my guess would be that the 550 would have the same neck profile. The width at the nut should be 43mm, the width at the last fret should be 56mm, the thickness at the first fret should be 18mm and 20mm at the last fret and the radius should be 430. The difference between that wizard and wizard II necks is the Wizard II's are 1 mm thicker at both ends and the radius is 400.

-AJH

post a pic, if it`s an aanj the 550 i believe will have a bubinga ceter section,and dot inlay. also the logo will be silverish/oily looking

I used to play a 550 and I never had any issues with the neck. I thought it played well. Then again, I did switch to Jacksons at that time too.

I went Jackson because you could get them made in the USA. The only Ibanez guitars I could find then were made overseas.

I contacted the seller though and he didn't know about it not being a 550 neck. He's being really cool about it and he's going to refund my money. So, it seems like all is well.

Latest posts

Back