So, I have to replace my grill cloth

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrm

Reaction score
Hey friends:

I am an infrequent poster but common lurker ( I hope that makes sene), and I am in need of advice! I got to our practice space (shared) last night and found that someone had put a decent sized hole in my grill cloth on my Rectoverb combo. No sense being angy about it since i can't change it, but I do need to replace the cloth. So, how would I go about this? Where can I find replacement? Does the whole amp have to be taken apart to acess the grill panel? Any advice, tips, etc.. would be really appreciated! I've never done any work whatsoever on an amp before, so let me know if I woudl be better off just taking this in somewhere.

And, I'm thinking of maybe putting a silver cloth on there. Has anyone got a silver cloth on their rectoverb? Have a pic? I'd like to see what that would look like!

Thanks-
jon

oh man, that looks soo good with the tan and the white piping. i've ben speculating about going to tan, i shoul've just let musicbox keep the tan on the nomad. :oops:

mesa sells them for $200 a pop. someone on the board posted a link to www.vibroworld.com, which is in the thread as well. they sell the mesa jute grill for $35 a yard. that guy did a dynomite job, and I think hes on this board...

thanks for the link. Great post.. man than looks great. I'm thinking of something like this:
rov_6ac.jpg
, so hopefully I can acheive his level of workmanship.

Recovering/retolxing the cabinet is SUPER hard..unless you have prior experience, I'd think twice before tearing into a pretty rect-o-verb...not that I'm doubting you or your craftmenship. Maybe your a prefessional cabinet builder. Re-doing a grill cloth is alot easier, but it's still no cup of tea. Take things very slow, getting the grill alignelled perfectly is a bit of a nightmare.

no, please doubt my abiliites. I actually just realized that it must appear that I want to re-tolex the cabinet with felt.. not the case at all! I was just lookign at the combo of a black cabinet with the pewter cloth.

ok the rick is to get the frame where the grillcloth is attached off.
I had the combo open in the past for my head project. (I have a topic about that somewhere).

First remove the back, secondly remove the chassis of the amp. This is done by unscrewing the 4 screws with the metal strip on top of the combo. Then slide the chassis like you would do a drawer. Remove your power tubes first!

Next we have the combo.
As you can see, form backwards in: first you have slants where the baffle with the speaker is mounted to. Then there is the frame where the grillcloth is mounted on. And lastly there are another sets of slants wich shaped the overall "beefy"appearences. Yes, Mesa doesnt use 3 cm plied wood for the whole cabinet, just make it look like that. Most company do.(actually I haven't seen one that doesn't).

It seems that the baffle is mounted with screws to the slants and the frame is mounted with screws to the baffle. When this is the case, you can uncrew everything, beginning from the inside. The problem is when glue is used. Then you'll have to use a chisel, a hammer and a steady hand.

by the way as you old grill cloth is ruined anyways you can uncrew your speaker first.

When everything is removed, replace the grill. This is probably mounted with nails or something. I use carpetnails for grill cloth, for they have those flat wide heads. Put everything back together and open a beer for a job well done.

Good luck

Musicbox,

Thanks for the link. I want to purchase some original Mesa grille cloth. The only way that Mesa sells it is if you get it on the frame. The link needs to have the comma removed from the end of it to work.
http://www.vibroworld.com

thanks for cleanin up the link. :)

didn't know about the frame thing, just understood they were charging the big prices. from the looks of it, the vibroworld stuff is actually from mesa/boogie, as they are authorized by the company to sell it.

edit: another tip, make sure your staplegun/nailgun is suffienitly powerfull to drive into the bafflel. I actually had to go out and buy a new one because the staplegun I had wouldnt drive the staples in.

wow, guys, this is so incrediubly helpful. Thanks a bunch! I'm going to try and tackle it this weeknd, so if I do, I'll post a pic or two. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back