So, I have a TungSol 12AX7 re-issue on the way...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Reaction score
...for V1 of my Triple. I'll post a review when it comes in and I play with it a bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this new tube is suppose to be a Mullard copy or version there of. New Sensor is using the Tung-Sol label as its premier brand. Atleast from what I read doing some research a month or so ago. Definitely one I'm going to be considering in the future.

New Sensor has also come out with some 5751s which I prefer for clean/phase tube positions. Yay for quality new tube production!

HI all,
I have had some Ts12ax7's for a couple of months.
I have a gold pin version in V1 of my mark one, v2 is a standard pin version.
The have nice highs, not shrill like the EH12ax7 and a nice texture to the OD/front end gain. Not as gain'y as the SPAX7's and chinese XA7s it came with. I personally like these tubes. I plan on loading them into my Lonestar.
Steve

been running tungs in my rec and stiletto for a while now, hands down blows stock tubes out of the way and slays JJ

diamondschwin said:
been running tungs in my rec and stiletto for a while now, hands down blows stock tubes out of the way and slays JJ

How are you running them? V1 only? Whole preamp full of them? My last 2 retubes have been all-JJ and it smokes the stockers. Have tried various combinations of Ei, sovtek, EH, mesa, C9, JJ 83s and 803's and so far I like the hi-gain JJ 83S's the best in all positions but I'm very interested in hearing the Tung Sol's. So should I order 1 or 2, or all 5?

NoGlassNoClass said:
diamondschwin said:

How are you running them? V1 only? Whole preamp full of them? My last 2 retubes have been all-JJ and it smokes the stockers. Have tried various combinations of Ei, sovtek, EH, mesa, C9, JJ 83s and 803's and so far I like the hi-gain JJ 83S's the best in all positions but I'm very interested in hearing the Tung Sol's. So should I order 1 or 2, or all 5?

in the dual rec. v1, v2, mesa spax7a in v3 (higher gain mesa tube)

in the stiletto, v1, v2, mesa white label 12ax7a

besides that the rest are stock, you WILL notice a difference just from v1, thats what i did, i bought 1 tung sol, thru it in v1 on rec. fell in love, then bought some more:)

OK, so it came in on Thursday. I had a gig with the cover band on Saturday night, so I played it unchanged. (Mesa "Russian 2" (Sovteks) only in the preamp.) The amp still sounded as good as it always has, especially since I put the STR440s in it.

Sunday afternoon I put the TungSol in V1, and used it with Division (original metal music). WOW! what a huge change - the tone was still aggressive on channel 3 (I don't change the settings on that one for cover band gigs, since it's my rhythm tone for Division and for "modern" covers.), but the TungSol cleaned up thehigh-end "trash", and made everything nice and smooth - it focused the tone in a very "musical" way. Channel two sounded very nice on both "vintage" and "modern" - nice and "liquid", with the same musical focus. Channel 1, though, had a huge change - it's now nice and "spanky" for the cleans, much much much better than the srock tubes. It's worth buying a TungSol for this alone.

Overall, this tube lives up to the hype - I had tried everything but the GT Mullard re-issue before this, and I ended up back with the stock tubes for the best blend of brightness and tone (I thought the JJs were too dark). A TungSol will be in at least V1 from now forward - it's that good.

Latest posts

Back