So I busted my vintage Boogiecherry....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after not having any luck with the 2 new MKV combos I got, I decided to go retro. I just pulled the trigger on a mint 1981 MKIIB combo. It has EQ, Verb, 100/60, and is all original. It should be arriving next week. I'm dying to get that Brad Gillis tone. Do you guys have any settings that you know of to get close to his tone? Also, is the fact that this amp isn't simul-class a big deal? Thanks for the info everyone. :D

I have the very same amp, '81 IIB 100/60, EQ, rev, EVM12L. It's an absolute corker!

One thing I found when I first got it is that when I set it up at relatively high volume (I was excited about my new amp!) it sounded crisp, clear and bright, however I had to completely re-EQ when I reigned it in to 'sensible' volumes.

The 100/60 switch is really helpful, and whist it sounds different to a Simul model, it's not a case of better/worse. Plus it gives you an excuse to keep looking for a Simul model :) have fun with it man!

I too have the very same amp and love it. It is the high output amp of high output amps! Tons of clean headroom, really good lead tones and did I mention it can be very LOUD. I like to use mine with my Strat, it seems very single coil friendly and it's not shy around pedals either. You will find it to be a great palette to paint all colors of tone on.
Congrats!
Jim

I have a sixty watt mark 2b and out of all the marks i play it has the warmest clean channel,very round,full and punchy!As said this amp loves pedals and i literally have sound guys drooling over this amp!I see a lot of guys buying expensive mark 2c+,s or mark 4 or 5,s only to use a power of pedals that would sound better through an amp with a better clean channel!(i,m on about the mark 4 in particular)When using an amp on it,s own with no pedals i opt for my mark 3 but with my pedal board no doubt about it the 2b has the winning edge.

Thanks guys. I'm not really sure what the heck simul-class is or how it effects the tone, I thought it was just more of a lower-wattage thing. Does this mean I'm not going to be able to get the Brad Gillis tone because it's not s.c.? Does this mean that I'm sitting here trying to learn the Sister Christian solo for nothing? :?:

bought my 2B in '81 as well!!
original owner...

i've never let it go, for all the reasons stated above.

now, i don't know alot about Gillis...

but i remember hearing years ago, that he used the Gain BOOST on the Master Volume 1, to get his tone.

typically, you will always be compromising your EQ settings (on the preamp) between what you want on the clean, and what you want on the Lead channels..

but i found wonderful 'compromises', when i gig live.

now, if you use the SHIFT on the Treble, you'll change the crossover point where the control is located frequency wise, it shifts down.

i'd suggest about 7 on Vol 1, 7-8 Pulled Treble, 1-bass, 3-4 Mid, 4-Master 1 Pulled, 8 Lead Drive, 6-Lead Master Pulled Bright....

then go to the EQ and try a variation of the "V" setting.

I also bought my Mark IIB new in 81. One of the most powerful controls
is the Presence (rear panel on mine) I re-read the manual recently and
noticed a hint on the use of this control. Used from 0-3, it's a smoother
mellower lead sound. As you increase the Presence, it provides a lot more
drive as well as clarity. Right now, I'm running presence around 6 and I
can keep the lead drive down around 5-6 and it's got a great sustaining
lead sound for HB or single coil guitars.
I always thought it was there just to give more sizzle to the high end.
Experiment with this control leaving all others the same and you'll be
surprised at the range of tones you can get.
Have fun! It's a great amp...

motorcop71 said:
So after not having any luck with the 2 new MKV combos I got, I decided to go retro. I just pulled the trigger on a mint 1981 MKIIB combo. It has EQ, Verb, 100/60, and is all original. It should be arriving next week. I'm dying to get that Brad Gillis tone. Do you guys have any settings that you know of to get close to his tone? Also, is the fact that this amp isn't simul-class a big deal? Thanks for the info everyone. :D

Brad's a friend of mine and I'll see him January 31st at a benefit concert at SLim's in SF...I'll ask him!

That would be great thanks. I actually sent him an email a couple of days ago but haven't heard back from him yet. I had the chance to talk with him a long, long time ago when my old band opened a show for N.R. In Boston. Brad was a really cool, down to earth guy. Thanks again.

motorcop71 said:
That would be great thanks. I actually sent him an email a couple of days ago but haven't heard back from him yet. I had the chance to talk with him a long, long time ago when my old band opened a show for N.R. In Boston. Brad was a really cool, down to earth guy. Thanks again.

you know...he's been using dual rectifiers forever...

Oh I know, but I just figured there was an outside chance that maybe he remembered some details about them since he used them for so long.

The amp actually came today but I only had a few minutes to mess with it before I had to go fight crime. It sounds really sweet. I find the reverb to be very faint. If I crank the amp and crank the verb, you can hear it a little bit, but at low volumes its barely audible. It does sound awesome though and I can't wait to experiment tomorrow.one of the above posts was correct. The presence control is very powerful.

I thought Brad used some sort of pre-amp on his guitar for sustain along with massive volume? I got to meet him and Jeff backstage during my "Hair Metal" days and they were both really cool.
OH, and congrats on the amp!

The guts on this thing are super clean. It looks like a new amp all around.

I can't see the pre-tubes, but someone with the initials M.B. :wink: was kind enough to write 12AX7 where they are all located.
The power tubes are some very old looking Peavey 6L6. Should I hit up Bob at Euro for some new stuff or don't worry about it? Also are these fixed bias or would it have to be adjusted? Thanks again guys.

With such an old amp, I'd consider sending it to Mesa for a tune up.

In addition to checking/replacing caps, pots, tube sockets, etc, he checks your reverb tank. The ones that mesa used apparently had some foam on the inside that slowly disintegrates. The foam bits then get into the springs of the reverb tank and really stop its action.

Before sending my IIC in to Mesa, my reverb was really weak, too. When I got it back, they had replaced the tank and the reverb sounded like a reverb should.

Of course, you can also order a replacement tank directly from Mesa or from Accutronics, if you want to save some $$$. I would recommend splurging, though, and sending the whole amp in for a tune-up.

Chip

fishyfishfish said:
I thought Brad used some sort of pre-amp on his guitar for sustain along with massive volume? I got to meet him and Jeff backstage during my "Hair Metal" days and they were both really cool.
OH, and congrats on the amp!
So you'll love this story...Brad played in a band called the Alameda Allstars B4 Night Ranger...after he recorded the Night Ranger album he got called by Ozzy when Randy died.I took his place in the Allstars when he left to plat with Ozzy. I got the call and when I asked when rehearsal was ,PAul the bass player sez. "no rehearsal, the gigs at 8" I had been watching them and sitting in for quite awhile...I showed up at the gig...the band that night was Kelly Keagy on drums,Jeff Watson on guitar,Fitz on kybds,PAul on BAss and me...no pressure!

I learned to swim in the deep end that night!

honestly, dude, the best thing you could do, would be to spend an entire weekend doing nothing but spinning the knobs.

find your OWN tone.
there's no glory in aping someone else's tone.

and if you end up with the same exact tone settings as Gillis, well, then, phuk em.
:mrgreen:

I got a full set of pre and power JJ's from Bob at Eurotubes. I also found the reverb cables were indeed reversed. Now I am drowning in awesome tone AND I have more reverb than I know what to do with. This amp is an engineering marvel and I can't believe it's almost 30 years old. I also found an original 81 owners packet including the manual and a bunch of other literature. Its been a great week for tone.

I have a 100w '81 Mk2b (w/ reverb, no GEQ) that I love. It has an EV12-"S" speaker. Never seen that before so I checked it out and turns out the "S" stands for 'short throw', and the EV12-L stands for "Long Throw".

I love the warm clean tone it has. I usually set the tone controls at B-4, M-4, T-4 to 5. and the presence between 7 and 8. As someone else above said- the Presence is VERY POWERFUL and you will notice it much more at stage volume than you would at 'bedroom volume'.

I turn the Volume to '10' and use a Boss GT-6 straight into the front of the amp for my overdrive and effects. This amp LOVES pedals! seems to love ANY pedal i put in front of it.

I also sometimes run the speaker into the 4-Ohm jack for a different sound.

Funny story about this amp:
I bought it on eBay and it was THE DIRTIEST, FUNKIEST, NASTIEST amp ive ever seen. It was actually STUCK inside the bottom of the original Anvil Case. The foam 'bumper' inside the reverb tank had decomposed and fallen on the springs so it would only faintly work. I took brake cleaner and cleaned the springs and put it all back together.
I 'pryed' the amp out of the roadcase and took it all apart and cleaned everything and vacuumed the cobwebs and dustbunnies out the chassis, put it all together and it worked PERFECTLY!

Old Boogies NEVER DIE, they just need some TLC~

true that, randy.

it's amazing, that i've seen so many boogies so clearly abused...

people think they're dead.

like you said, they just needed tlc

hopefully, for the folks that 'get it', there will always be big dummies that don't know how to take care of their gear, ditch it, for someone like yourself to totally refurb and rock out with.

Latest posts

Back