So does the treble knob do ANYTHING on the F-50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuSkoolTone

Reaction score
Of course, I'm talking about the Dirty Channel.

I know the tone stack is pre distortion so it "Shapes the characteristics of the distortion" rather than the tone, but **** if this knob isn't USELESS! I mean if there IS a change, it's SO Subtle what's the point?

I tried the following:
-I take the gain down, turn the treble knob, no change.
-Gain up, turn the treble knob, no change,
-I try the same thing with contour on and off, no change!

See a pattern here?

The Express series was the same way when I owned it.

Does anyone know a mod to make the treble knob work POST distortion?
Or at the very least, can give me some settings where I can actually HEAR it working?

Thanks.

Are the other tone controls in their "recommended", "useable" ranges? The treble control is usually the 1st and most prominent control on your amp, though the others could, I guess, mask it if not used judiciously. :?:

The Treble is usable on mine but it doesn't do a whole hell of a lot. It doesn't bother me though because, generally speaking, it sounds good. I just use the Treble to tweak it a little. Besides I'm used to my Marshalls and I'm pretty sure their tone controls are just there for show.

:lol:

Have you tried a graphic eq with it? That's probably my next purchase... just to see what kind of tones I can pull out of the amp with it.

I noticed the same thing. I upgraded from a 65w Crate to the 550 express Mesa and yes your right the tone controls are very subtle.

Easiest fix is to put an EQ in the FX and set the loop mix knob to 90% wet. Yep, 10% of the tone isn't being EQ'd but that's generally not a problem in practice. If it is, then convert the loop to serial; it looks like an incredibly easy mod for the F-series amps. I'm going to be doing it this weekend so I'll let you know, if you want.

D7

It's not like the treble knob on a marshall but it shapes the sound. Of course if you have the gain past noon it's not going to do hardly a **** thing. At noon the F series are already nearly saturated. Turning the gain up only smooths them out IMO.

jbird said:
Are the other tone controls in their "recommended", "useable" ranges? The treble control is usually the 1st and most prominent control on your amp, though the others could, I guess, mask it if not used judiciously. :?:

Gain even down to about 9:00, all tones at 12:00. Master volume was low, but the amp was still working a little. I guess I could muck with the Mid and Bass all teh way down and see what happens, but I don't see that producing a tone I'd want to play with?

When you're playing in a band environment, you'll notice. I couldn't hear myself before I turned the treble knob up. So it is more about those practical things than sound itself.

F50user said:
When you're playing in a band environment, you'll notice. I couldn't hear myself before I turned the treble knob up. So it is more about those practical things than sound itself.

Had rehearsal last night, and you're absolutely right! The amp sounded very "middy" which was not what I expected. Sure does cut through though.

I don't have an F-series amp, but with my Nomad (+ other boogies that I am aware of), the range of tonal control for one knob depends on how the other knobs are set. However, in all of the settings that I've used with the Nomad, I've always been able to clearly hear the sonic difference of having the treble knob set to various different positions.

The treble on the gain channel is indeed subtle as are all the tone controls, and no, there is no way, short of redesigning the amp, to make it a post-distortion control. The EQ in the loop trick is about the only way to acheive that. To me that's a shortcoming of the amp...I did not realize that when I bought it. And it's part of the reason I've never really decided how well I like the gain channel on this amp. I've had the amp almost 4 years now and still can't decide! I love the clean channel, though, so the amp is still around. But I have a feeling one day it may be replaced...possibly by a Stiletto Ace!

Latest posts

Back