smooth old EVH tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcguitar

Reaction score
Has anyone, or can someone experiment and see if an old VH type tone is avail in the V? that is not a cranked plexi copy but just that big smooth tone that existed in the 70s? (or is that all post production work?)

You mean the original 'Brown Sound'? ....(that's the '70's EVH tone) 8)

I doubt any Mark can truly go there. Maybe someone found a way....

The closest way with a Mesa, IMHO, is a Stiletto in "Spongy" power and Tite Gain mode. :D
Good luck! :)

its not that im looking for the original brown sound.. i could just as easily get a plexi type amp that was made to do that, but it will only have that sound (and other similar marshall tones) but for instance if you listen to that evh it has that nice "brown" as he put it, quality. its a smooth pleasant sound (not that everyone likes that) its not abrasive, or harsh. just wondering if with any setting (and possible el 34s) something in that ball park is available.

dmcguitar said:
its not that im looking for the original brown sound.. i could just as easily get a plexi type amp that was made to do that, but it will only have that sound (and other similar marshall tones) but for instance if you listen to that evh it has that nice "brown" as he put it, quality. its a smooth pleasant sound (not that everyone likes that) its not abrasive, or harsh. just wondering if with any setting (and possible el 34s) something in that ball park is available.

There are so many sounds in the Mark V i'd be suprised if you can't get very close. My guess would be Full Power and crunch mode.

dmcguitar said:

i get what you're saying. you want versatility and especially want to cover the evh/brown sound without the one-trick pony that is a brit amp.

not sure if this is the right thinking, but 6l6gc's might round out the low mids and lows a little too much (sometimes presents itself as flub, depending on the guitar/pickups) while the el-34 might be a little too mid focused, neither are necessarily features of evh tone. maybe a mix of the two might work--conveniently possible w/ the mark series.

another thing, though not unrelated, have you tried variac power with either 45 or 10w mode to give it a softer sound, then turn down the ch 2 master and turn up the output? but then idk how the class and tube mixing will make that sound. obviously your headroom will be significantly reduced, but that's not really an issue since you're going for a saturated yet smooth tone.

however, i have to say i haven't dared mix on the v yet until i'm as confident as and in everyone else's experience with that. :p you could probably use the geq to a reasonably good effect too, just the last little (or big) tweak in the chain.

mejoshee said:
lesterpaul said:
time to try 6ca7's...I have, and it'll get you closer

what brand? mullards? :twisted:

NO, the Sylvania "Fat Bastards" are the ones that he is speaking of.

Like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Matched-Quad-Sylvania-Fat-Boy-EL34-6CA7-Tubes-NOS_W0QQitemZ220484945976QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3355ed4838&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I realize the whole NOS tube thing... but how much differnt are those 6ca7's then the ones that Electro Harmonix makes now? or even the groove tubes matched 6ca7-GE model?

dmcguitar said:
I realize the whole NOS tube thing... but how much differnt are those 6ca7's then the ones that Electro Harmonix makes now? or even the groove tubes matched 6ca7-GE model?
I read somewhere the Electro-Harmonix are not the same architecture. I believe true 6CA7s are beam tetrodes (?), whereas the EHs are not (power pentode?). Also, I have a pair of both vintage Philips/ECG 6CA7s and the Groove Tubes 6CA7GE's. I found the GTs to be more brittle sounding than the Philips. I was pretty excited to cop a pair of the GTs, but so far I'm a little disappointed in the performance. Maybe they'll soften with age?

BTW, I do like the GT 6L6GE. I run them in the inner sockets of my C+. I don't know how closely they resemble the vintage GEs, but they sound at least as good as an STR 440, which I also like.

This is what GT says about their now discontinued 6CA7-GE :

"The Groove Tubes 6CA7GE is a USA-style power pentode tube with similar specifications to the European style EL34 tube. However, the 6CA7 differs in design from the common EL34 types by the use of an active beam-forming electrode similar to that of the 6L6 and 6550."

I have been told by some of the tube dealers that the Electro Harmonix is just a fat bottle EL-34.

thegaindeli said:
Again, pick-up a Guytron GT100, or GT100 FV. EVH plugged into an MXR Distortion (generic grey box) - MXR Phase 90 - Echoplex (tube sound color only - no effect) - Vox AC30 - power-soak - various effects to include chorus, delay, and flange - MXR EQ - Marshall Plexi to amplify the final signal. His Plexi was not modded... Jose Arrendondo kyped Ed's original transformers, and put in a lesser quality set of MM transformers. He also removed all of Ed's "mustard" caps. Yes, parts were changed - but no mods were done. His plate voltage was cranked down a little - but that's it. Ed didn't use the "soaked-rig" (Vox AC30 w/power soak) on VH II. Hence the change in tone... He went back to using the soaked-rig on WACF.

never knew EVH used AC30s with a power soak. What's a good recorded example that shows off that tone?

You need Eddy's hands to sound like him.

With that bieng said, you can get close with the MKV. My buddy is a huge EVH fan and brought over his new Wolfgang, his tube tape, and phase 90. I plugged him into my MKV wich currently has SED 6l6. He got awfull close on crunch. variac. 90w. some verb and no eq. He uses a 5150 III and can nail that tone on the blue channel. But that amp lack's quite a bit for me. It's high gain channel is nasely and middy, flat and too saturated. The middle 'blue' channel is good for VH, thats about it. It's made in Mexico and looks silly to me. It does have a nice clean channel.

gplex said:

With that bieng said, you can get close with the MKV. My buddy is a huge EVH fan and brought over his new Wolfgang, his tube tape, and phase 90. I plugged him into my MKV wich currently has SED 6l6. He got awfull close on crunch. variac. 90w. some verb and no eq. He uses a 5150 III and can nail that tone on the blue channel. But that amp lack's quite a bit for me. It's high gain channel is nasely and middy, flat and too saturated. The middle 'blue' channel is good for VH, thats about it. It's made in Mexico and looks silly to me. It does have a nice clean channel.

+1000 on the "hands" comment. :shock:

Try switching the SED 6L6's for SED EL-34's and replay the test with Variac power and 90 or 45 watt modes. The SED EL-34's are the best sounding new production EL-34's IMHO. Some of the others (Sovtek, EH, etc...) are a bit too grainy in the high frequencies for my tastes. :D

JOEY B. said:
gplex said:

+1000 on the "hands" comment. :shock:

Try switching the SED 6L6's for SED EL-34's and replay the test with Variac power and 90 or 45 watt modes. The SED EL-34's are the best sounding new production EL-34's IMHO. Some of the others (Sovtek, EH, etc...) are a bit too grainy in the high frequencies for my tastes. :D
YES,+1000 ON THE HANDS..HIS ACOUSTIC PIECES SOUND BROWN TO ME...screw what he used/there are a million different versions of it,not to mention the various variables in the studio, humidity, batteries,drugs,etc...Variac and El 34's= thumbs up :)...various variables??I must be drinking again..

thegaindeli said:
You're probably right... I was told by THD that running a P/S on a MESA amp will result in amplifier damage. Maybe it has something to do with the THD device itself? I will edit post...

Works for the guy on the tonight show..

Back