Slider EQ Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Rolf

Reaction score
I just posted this in the bass amp section but thought I'd post here as well since my bass amp utilizes essentially the same EQ slider function as some of the Mark Series amps. At least that is my assumption. I don't know how much traffic the bass amp/cab forum section gets.
This was my post shown below here:

"This is my first amp with a slider EQ.

Having said that, I just received my Strategy Eight: 88 last night and was only able to test it out at low volume with all eight tubes engaged.
I was getting used to the EQ function and noticed that the slider/s on the far right (last two) barely seemed to make any kind of difference in tone.
Can someone tell me how the frequencies are affected from left to right?
I'm assuming the EQ is basically controlling the Bass, Mid and Treble scoop/boost but don't understand why the slider farthest to the right barely (if at all) makes any discernible difference. Is this because I was at such a low volume?

Like I said, I'm new to slider EQ's.

Thank you"

Scott Rolf said:
I just posted this in the bass amp section but thought I'd post here as well since my bass amp utilizes essentially the same EQ slider function as some of the Mark Series amps. At least that is my assumption. I don't know how much traffic the bass amp/cab forum section gets.

Having said that, I just received my Strategy Eight: 88 last night and was only able to test it out at low volume with all eight tubes engaged.
I was getting used to the EQ function and noticed that the slider/s on the far right (last two) barely seemed to make any kind of difference in tone.
I'm assuming the EQ is basically controlling the Bass, Mid and Treble scoop/boost but don't understand why the slider farthest to the right barely (if at all) makes any discernible difference. Is this because I was at such a low volume?

Thank you"

Scott,

The center frequencies for your Strategy Eight: 88 are printed along the bottom of the eq: 33 80 150 300 600 900 2000 5000 and 8000 hertz for your amp. I'm not sure what the "Q" (the range and shape of the slope of the affect either side of the center frequency) is.

The principle of EQ is similar to that of a treble-mid-bass set of tone controls but 1: is divided up into more divisions and 2) isn't arbitrary (i.e. your actually don't know what the center frequency of a "treble" control is other than by what you ear tells you).

I'd suggest that if you are not hearing much of a change in the 5000 and 8000 hz range of the EQ that is because the signal coming in doesn't have much information in that range or the signal going out isn't capable of reproducing much information in that frequency range (not knowing what cabinet speaker etc you have).

All that said, suggest you spend some quality time with your manual. If it is anything like the Mark V manual, it's got a tonne of information. and suggestions.

Cheers,

Lonny

muttoab said:
Scott Rolf said:

Thank you"

Scott,

The center frequencies for your Strategy Eight: 88 are printed along the bottom of the eq: 33 80 150 300 600 900 2000 5000 and 8000 hertz for your amp. I'm not sure what the "Q" (the range and shape of the slope of the affect either side of the center frequency) is.

The principle of EQ is similar to that of a treble-mid-bass set of tone controls but 1: is divided up into more divisions and 2) isn't arbitrary (i.e. your actually don't know what the center frequency of a "treble" control is other than by what you ear tells you).

I'd suggest that if you are not hearing much of a change in the 5000 and 8000 hz range of the EQ that is because the signal coming in doesn't have much information in that range or the signal going out isn't capable of reproducing much information in that frequency range (not knowing what cabinet speaker etc you have).

All that said, suggest you spend some quality time with your manual. If it is anything like the Mark V manual, it's got a tonne of information. and suggestions.

Cheers,

Lonny

That makes sense thanks.
Unfortunately, the manual really doesn't go that much in depth regarding the EQ settings.
My cabinet is a Mesa 4x10 Traditional bass cab.

And yes, I do need to spend MUCH more time with it.
I will say this, it sounds fantastic.
My only other experience with Mesa is a Stiletto Ace Combo I've had since 2007 and I love it. Not one problem. Ever. (bass is my second instrument to guitar)

Thanks again,

The top two sliders will largely be harmonics. I haven't played that amp myself, but I suspect that when using a pick, distortion, or pop/slap they'll add some edge/attack and sizzle to your sound. If you're playing with fingers and clean I don't know if you'll hear much.

Latest posts

Back