six string vs seven string

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bermuda_

Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wondering if you tuned a six string down to b standard would it be

just as low as a seven string guitar tuned to that tuning

or would the seven string be still slightly lower than the six string in that tuning cheers:)

oh and sorry for posting more than once on this thread I don't know how that happened

I'll just assume you had a browser issue which is why you posted this a mind-numbing 5 times.

If you took a 6 and tuned it down to B, keeping all the relative pitches the same, it would be the same as the lowest 6 strings on a 7 string guitar. However, you couldn't really play chords on the top 3 strings the same way, because you'd have to compensate like you do between the G and B string on a 6 string. Unless, I assume, you tune the second string (formally a B) down to an F#, then you could just play in that new complete tuning the same way you would on a standard 6 string, because the intervals would still be the same...

Man, that was kind of hard to explain. Might wanna go delete all those extra posts, though.

bermuda_ said:
Hey guys I was just wondering if you tuned a six string down to b standard would it be

just as low as a seven string guitar tuned to that tuning

or would the seven string be still slightly lower than the six string in that tuning cheers:)

oh and sorry for posting more than once on this thread I don't know how that happened

My Dean V stays tuned to B because I don't wanna go an splurge on a quality 7 string at the moment.

I tried putting acoustic strings on my cheapo ibanez and tuning it to B and it sorta worked however it was a cheap guitar to begine with and it didnt sound great but it got the job done

73h Nils said:
If you took a 6 and tuned it down to B, keeping all the relative pitches the same, it would be the same as the lowest 6 strings on a 7 string guitar. However, you couldn't really play chords on the top 3 strings the same way, because you'd have to compensate like you do between the G and B string on a 6 string. Unless, I assume, you tune the second string (formally a B) down to an F#, then you could just play in that new complete tuning the same way you would on a standard 6 string, because the intervals would still be the same...

well put.

Latest posts

Back