Single Solo 50 Series 2 pre-amp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langmurf

Reaction score
So here's the chart from the manual:

MesaSingleRectotubechart_zpsa99dda60.jpg

Can anyone accurately identify or map the chart to the different modes; Clean, Pushed, Raw, Vintage, Modern? I realize that more is going on than just tubes, or assume such... but I get some weird tone changes going on when I move from mode to mode... e.g., on the green channel, the Clean setting sounds fine but when I flip the switch to Pushed, it sounds like the air is being pushed through a megaphone.

And the red channel... well, raw sounds somewhat lifeless, Vintage adds some treble to it and some gain and Modern adds significant volume and treble and gain. Additional gain is expected, for sure... I just don't know if maybe I need to swap out some pre-amp tubes or not. Is that the way the different modes sound when you leave all volume and tone stack knobs at the same position when you switch modes?

Ch1 only affected by v1 gain wise, ch2 and ch3 all modes affected by v1-v3 gain wise. V4 is effects loop so if you use the loop, it will affect all channels/modes as well. V5 is the phase inverter and will also affect all channels/modes somewhat.

Yeah... I rolled GL and Mullard RI 12AX7's into V1 today and there was really no impact on the green channel. I think my issue is that some of the modes sound OK at low volume, and some need some ooomph to get their mojo happening.

yeah the clean channel doesn't really respond to a tube change the way the others do. Must be the low gain designed into that channel.

Back