Single rectos sound different from Duals or Triples?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sustain said:
single recto doesnt have tube rectification, only silicon diode

get a dual recto or better

He didn't mean that by 'Recto', he was referring to the amp not the rectification !!! Anyway, the Single Rec is REALLY loud, but only in Modern mode. Switch to Vintage etc and the volume drops considerably !! Weak preamp tubes and old power tubes could be a reason for low volume levels otherwise.

LEVEL4 said:
nomad100hd said:
if a drummer plays so loud a 50W amp can't keep up get a new drummer! Our drummer plays to hard which makes him to loud sometimes, so we are looking for a new drummer. A drummer who plays to hard will cause you not to get invited back to a venue.
Well, my 50-Watt Recto isn't nearly as loud as my 30-Watt DC-3. It's great, because I can actually crank my Recto pretty good and get some saturation before anyone calls the police (unlike my DC-3, Mark IV, or 60-Watt 6505). Unless there's something wrong with my Recto that's making it "quieter" than normal? Old power tubes?

Yeah. I'd say it is time to put some new tubes in. A 30-watt should not be louder than a 50 watt. :oops:

Yes I agree, if my Rectoverb is on Modern I can't even use it in my house without my hotplate.
it's crazy loud. :shock:

Others are missing what I posted about the volume of a 50 watt amp as compared to a 100 watt or higher. The volume is there, but with a full band playing at rehearsal or stage volume(which in my case isn't that half powered barely hear my amp unless I get a good monitor mix deal. I play metal and loud metal) In my experience playing with 50 watt amps in that situation which was a Marshall 2204 and 1987, the amp can hang in the volume department, but tends to get a bit overridden by the rest of the instruments. Like I said it was more of a feel type situation than actual volume.

Saying that, For your style of music that is posted on your myspace, I think that a DR would fit your style a little better than a SR. Namely for some of the added features that amp possesses over the SR. I have not seen a SR in recent years and not sure if they are laid out the same as 4 years ago.

You can go to www.myspace.com/hodtheband and listen to the clips we have there. The songs were recorded with a DR and a Marshall 2203 with KT88 power tubes. Both amps straight in with no effects except during leads when a Boss SD-1 was used to goose the amp a bit.

I think the flexability of a DR or maybe even a TR would suit what you do more than the Marshall. Marshall's sound like Marshalls no matter what you do with them. You can get a convincing Marshall tone out of a DR using the stock 6L6 tubes that come with the amp. Set it to channel 1 and set it to pushed and crank the gain up, instant NMV Marshall type crunch. The Orange channel set to vintage or raw will get you into Marshall MV territory and Orange on Modern will put you into modded Marshall regions. The DR or TR has one thing that the Marshall DSL or TSL doesn't have and that is a really really clean channel. The Marshall amp's cleans are nice at moderate volumes, but tend to start breaking up as you get louder. YMMV though.

Marshall amps do not have the rectification circuit to choose between, They do not have the built in voltage selector to produce variac type sagging except for the half power switch. You can do the same with pulling power tubes and resetting you impedance settings on the Mesa's. you can also not swap tube families in a Marshall like a Mesa without opening the amp up and rewiring the tube sockets and changing bias resistors.

But with everything YMMV on amp descisions.

Seems like I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the Single the best. Never had a triple come through my studio, but a few duals - never really loved a tone I heard out of any of them - too much fizz for me. Totally different impression of the first Single that came through - ballsy and more urgent, and without the fizz. Anyway, ended up buying a Single (series 2) and it's GREAT. I don't know, but for me the Single just sounds better for my work.

And if anyone's interested, I use all of the modes from time to time, but the amp lives most of it's life on Ch.1 "Pushed", Ch.2 "Modern".

Hope this helps.

Brent
bgroupmusic.com

ollievk said:
That's ridiculous. So if you have an amazing drummer who plays loud you'd kick him out? I hate it when drummers play really quiet...

No, it's ridiculous when I'm trying to buy a girl a drink and the bartender can't hear me even though I am screaming at the top of my lungs, so I have to write my fucking order on a napkin and give it to him, because the drummer is so loud that the bass player has his amp halfway up and the guitar player turns his 100w up to about 3 or 4 just to hear himself at all, and all you can hear vocally is "mewarasf#$&(*@&" because the mix is so loud that the vocals can't cut through

So yes, if your drummer is too loud, then he != amazing.

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
Sustain said:
single recto doesnt have tube rectification, only silicon diode

get a dual recto or better

He didn't mean that by 'Recto', he was referring to the amp not the rectification !!! Anyway, the Single Rec is REALLY loud, but only in Modern mode. Switch to Vintage etc and the volume drops considerably !! Weak preamp tubes and old power tubes could be a reason for low volume levels otherwise.

Thanks but I know what he meant, he asked about the single recto vs the dual and triple. And I told him what some people might not know, which is that there is no tube rectification in a single recto.

Thanks for playing, gomer!

Gtr_Pkr said:
I'd say it is time to put some new tubes in. A 30-watt should not be louder than a 50 watt.
Well, that DC-3 is f*cking LOUD!!! I guess my Recto probably needs new power tubes (just replaced the preamp tubes). The previous owner put in JJ power tubes. Any other preferences for Recto power tubes?

bgroup said:
Seems like I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the Single the best. Never had a triple come through my studio, but a few duals - never really loved a tone I heard out of any of them - too much fizz for me. Totally different impression of the first Single that came through - ballsy and more urgent, and without the fizz. Anyway, ended up buying a Single (series 2) and it's GREAT. I don't know, but for me the Single just sounds better for my work.
Interesting. I guess that makes me glad I have a Single-Recto. Although, I did A/B both a single and a dual at the Mesa store, and I really couldn't tell the difference. They BOTH sounded fizzy to me with the gain and presence turned up. If you were able to tell the difference, that's cool! At least I can feel like I can approach pushing the power tubes on the Solo 50, whereas, on the Dual, that just wouldn't be practical.

I run my Single wide-open when recording - it sounds great cranked up. :) And I don't miss the tube rectification at all... on the duals I've used, tube rectification with any sort of gain just made the fizz more mushy! I prefer diode rectification for Rectos anyway...

Now, my Stiletto Deuce, that's a totally different story!! I flip between tube and diode rectification all the time!! The Stiletto is my favorite Mesa amp ever!!

Brent
bgroupmusic.com

Back