Single Recto with 2 independent FX loop...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismofreakish

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about this for a while but I don't know if it's worth the pain.

I have a Mesa Single Rectifier for my dirt stuff, which I love, and a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 for my cleans, which is great too.

However, we did a gig last week and it was the first time I had to carry all my gear and I just can't imagine doing that over and over again, space and energy wise.

I love the sound of my Jazz Chorus (that's the reason I bought it in the first place!) but for gigs, I'd like to bring only my Mesa head and my cab (although I'm worried about the power of my Mesa clean channel if we do unmiked gigs), but I have respective clean and dirt FX, and I don't wanna tap dance (I'm the lead singer too).

So I figured that the only way to get out of this would be to modify (well not me, but someone competent) my amp so it'd have 2 separate FX loops, one for the dirt channel and one for the clean one ('cause I need my FX to be already turned on when I switch channel).

The only other option I see is a Mesa Road King head but I reaaaaaaaally don't have that amount of cash and it would be a waste since I wouldn't use any of its option.

Do some of you had already made that kind of modification? Is it expensive, a pain in the ***, reliable?
Or is there another way I just ignore that would solve my issue?

I'd really like your input on this.

THX!

Hey,

The best way to do this to my knowledge does not involve getting your amp modified. You can get a MIDI switcher that will switch your amp channels and can also turn on (or off) different pedals at the same time with one button press. For example, you can go from clean with chours to dirt with no chorus and delay by pressing one button. You can put any of the eight loops anywhere in your signal chain. I'm pretty sure you can also program this to turn on your clean channel and activate the solo boost at the same time for more volume from your clean channel.

I don't know a TON about them but here's one you can look into:
http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm
coupled with its ground controller
http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm

Good luck!

Upgrade to a 3ch Dual Rec, the cleans are better and all channels are warmer than the single - which can be quite harsh, you will need to take the time to getting used to the change in tone, and the fact that it doesn't come to like at the lower volumes like the Single. However I find the Dual is a much better gigging amp as it stays stable at high output levels.

*edit - not sure about the reborn heads though, I don't like the look of these, if it was me I would be looking for a pre 2010, my opinion is that the more options - the more things that can go wrong later down the track.

Thx volatileNoise,

Indeed for the power, it would be a good option! But my main issue is concerning the FX loop. The triple Rectifier (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't have a seperate FX loop per channel either.

:(

I am talking about the Dual Rec, more specifically, though the triple effectively would have the same options.

The FX loop works rather well for all channels, and I see no need for more than one loop with this amp, there may only be three channels, but effectively I have easily over 10 different tonal options for live playing, without the need to touch any amp settings in the process.

Not sure exactly why you want two effects loops, but if you are looking for a clean tone that works well, these amps do have it in them for sure, provided you have a good axe plugged in! *edit - And playing PRS guitars you should have no problems there! :p

I used to run my dual recto 3ch (over & dirts) with my Line 6 Flextone duo (cleans and effects) but, like you, its just to mutch space/work to gig with. Now I only use the recto with some effects (pedals). The clean its pretty nice and I just tap twice so I can have it with a chorus. In the FX-Loop I have an EQ with the FX-Loop set for the 3rd channel only (I dont know if the single have this option - you can choose on which channel you want the FX-Loop). This suited for some time, but know I'm planning on getting a GCX audio switcher or a RJM RG-16 as audio switcher and a GCX Ground Control or a Rocktron All Access for MIDI switching. With this loop sytem you can choose (like someone already said) between a clean sound with a chorus and delay, an overdrive with a boost and a short delay and a agressive djent rythm tone with an EQ with just one step on the floorboard preset.

Clean: JC120 Chorus and JC120 Reverb (but plan buying chorus and reverb stomp pedals if I can run 2 FX loops), Maxon Flanger, Boss Acoustic Simulator AC3
Dirt: MXR Carbon CopyDelay, EH Small Stone Phaser

In front: Boss DD-5 (delay), Ibanez SC-10 (chorus), Dunlop DB-01 Dimebag Wah, Boss OD-2r Turbo Overdrive, Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi, Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor, Boss FV-50H Volume pedal;
In FX-Loop: Boss GE-7 EQ
Wah,OD and Muff in the NS-2 loop
On the buying list: Line 6 Modulation Modeler, MXR Phase 90, Boss DD-20 Giga delay, Boss RV-5 Reverb, Boss AC-2 Acoustic simulator, Hughes?Kettner Rotosphere and a Voodoo Lab pedal power 2 plus.
Guess by next week this all thing may change (lol).

Latest posts

Back