Single Rectifier.... Series 1 vs 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe they added Raw to the channel voicings on series 2....I believe there is more, but I can't recall right now :/

The also added a bias switch that allows you to run EL 34's.

An ROV was my first boogie and I loved it. It was a series 1. It's an economical alternative and sounds better at lower volumes than the dual.

I traded "up" to a 2 channel because I liked the idea of being able to run El34's and I also liked the channel assignable loop. Both amps are loud with the Dual having a little more head room. I always thought the cleans were better.

Add a 2x12 rectifier cab to the combo and they really rock.

+1

Plusses for me:

- I liked the breathy, open, big-bottom sound of the clean channels in the ROV combo. I can get most of my favorite sounds in this channel alone, especially in the Pushed mode.

- The addition of the Raw mode in the Series 2 - I find it VERY useable, and a great transition from Channel 1. For me, this might be the biggest advantage over the Series 1. Small changes in guitar volume really have an impact...like they're supposed to. I could probably live in this mode.

- There's always plenty of gain on tap in the other Channel 2 modes...more than I'll probably use.

And Mesa just dropped the price to $1,179! I was commited to buying a ROV yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised when the Guitar Center clerk told me that Mesa had just dropped the price $300. I was debating whether to buy a used one, expecting to pay in the $800-$900 range, but the price drop made it a no-brainer!

On a side note, I A/B'd a Mark IV...sipping the vampire's blood so to speak. :twisted: I was surprised at how truly amazing it is, not just in versatility, but in articulation and tone. It's everything people say...and more. Someday I will be compelled to buy one. What pushed me in the ROV direction was the relative simplicity of dialing in great tone and the open sound of the large 3/4 back cabinet. But I'll tell you, that Mark IV will forever draw me, like the full moon....

Hope this helps.

Frank

Cool.

How is the Single Recto for cutting through a mix? I've owned Recto's before so I know how to EQ them, but I also know they don't cut through like other amps. Will 50w be enough to hold it's own?

screamingdaisy said:
Cool.

How is the Single Recto for cutting through a mix? I've owned Recto's before so I know how to EQ them, but I also know they don't cut through like other amps. Will 50w be enough to hold it's own?

What cab are you planning on running? What guitar to you use? If you use the Recto or Stilleto 4 x 12, those things can part the Red Sea as far as volume is concerned. The 50watt head doesn't have quite the thump of a 100 or 150 watt head but they still sound awesome. Something else to consider: How loud is the drummer?? Maybe you should rent one first and jam with it.

I noticed something interesting last night about my Gibson Les Paul. The Bridge pickup on the guitar really emphasizes high mids, the frequencies that people complain are missing with the Dual. No wonder I never have trouble with getting good tones out of my amp. I find with my setup, I can maintain a lot of clarity at high gain settings, at least before the gain gets so thick I can't even use it.

Spratty59 said:
S2 is heavier.
S1 is a bit lackluster as far as gain goes.

That was my experience too. I remember the clean on s1 being incredible but not being able to dial in a gain tone I even liked.

I had a ROV V2 combo and loved it. I did find it a little short in the mix against my lead player's JCM 800 (w/master) but when I paired the ROV with a 4x12 I had no problems.

Also: The reverb knob was moved to the front on series II and the delay between switching channels was improved. Most everything else has been mentioned. Love these amps! I had a RoV combo before that I sold to buy a Stiletto Ace combo. Sold the Ace and ended up going for a DC-3. Missed the Recto tone so got another RoV in a trade deal. One of the best bang for your buck Mesas IMO! Clean channel is lush and the distortion sounds great. Very versatile amp!

Any idea what it would cost to get the bias switch put in a series 1 head?
What cab are you planning on running? What guitar to you use? If you use the Recto or Stilleto 4 x 12, those things can part the Red Sea as far as volume is concerned. The 50watt head doesn't have quite the thump of a 100 or 150 watt head but they still sound awesome. Something else to consider: How loud is the drummer?? Maybe you should rent one first and jam with it.
I have an H&K cabinet with greenbacks and it is incredibly loud. No problems cutting at all.

Which Greenbacks? Are you talking G12m or G12H? The G12m are a low efficiency speaker so if you are running a 100 watt head with that, your setup would be as loud as if you were running a 50watt head with v30s. The G12H speakers are the same efficiency as the v30 so there would be no difference. A 4 x 12 with G12Hs is rated at 120watts while a 4 x 12 with G12ms is rated at 100watts.

Incidentally, most people here play metal and a v30 is much more suited to metal. You can also look into other brands of speakers. Celestion isn't the be all and end all of drivers, even if people like me won't play with anything else.

G12m

And that 50W recto with the G12m cabinet is more than loud enough for any venue. Unless, of course, you're trying to play a stadium without a PA. The key is to get the cab that helps you get your tone and roll with it. Any high end cabinet is going to be just fine with the 50W.

Back