Single Rectifier Question from a Mesa virgin

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glahnb

Reaction score
Hello all. Had a trade proposal from another member, my jcm800 for his single rectifier. Some questions:

1. How much do single rectifiers go for? My 1981 JCM800 is far from cosmetically perfect(nicks, spray painted side, scuffs, etc.), his recto is clean. Is it a fair/even swap?
2. How bad/good are the cleans?
3. Do they sound good at lower volumes?
4. How is the build quality?
5. What types of gain can I get?
6. What's the difference between single, dual, and triple?
7. Do they sound good through Celestion G12H30s?

My band writes rock music, some clean, some dirty, some fairly heavy. I'd describe us in the vein of radiohead, smashing pumpkins, tool, deftones, u2 type music.

Thanks for any info.

Bryan

glahnb said:
Hello all. Had a trade proposal from another member, my jcm800 for his single rectifier. Some questions:

1. How much do single rectifiers go for? My 1981 JCM800 is far from cosmetically perfect(nicks, spray painted side, scuffs, etc.), his recto is clean. Is it a fair/even swap?
2. How bad/good are the cleans?
3. Do they sound good at lower volumes?
4. How is the build quality?
5. What types of gain can I get?
6. What's the difference between single, dual, and triple?
7. Do they sound good through Celestion G12H30s?

My band writes rock music, some clean, some dirty, some fairly heavy. I'd describe us in the vein of radiohead, smashing pumpkins, tool, deftones, u2 type music.

Thanks for any info.

Bryan
1. $700-1,000. Sounds fair especially if each person is looking for the others amp.
2. Cleans on my Series II are excellent. Marshall clean is just different so it's hard to compare.
3. Excellent at all volumes, just needs to be dialed in differently for each volume level if extreme from soft to loud.
4. Built well, better than the Marshall, IMHO.
5. Huge gain 10x that of the Marshall, and without a boost.
6. Essentially watts... 50, 100 and 150 respectively plus all the additional feature as you go from dual to triple.
7. No idea.

If you go with a Single you will get WAY more versatility when compared to the 800... and you get an effects loop.

I have both and if I had to choose it would be the single in a live band setting and the 800 for collector purposes.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back