Single Rectifier or Road King?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bag

Reaction score
I was originally in the market for a new Single rectifier for $1399, but a friend just offered me a Road King for $2000.. that's not very far off from what I was originally going to pay.

What would you guys think? I enjoyed the single's simplicity, but the getting the Road King just seems like it could save a lot of steps of buying new amps... but the road king also seems like A LOT could go wrong, considering everything in it... I'll be gigging a lot with, that's why I worry about it. WHat do you guys think?

Road King, hands-down. So long as you read the manual, not a lot can go wrong. You'll be very happy with it, trust me.

The Road King will be like a godsend for live use! Really, it will do everything you need on stage. Switch between cabinet sides, swap between different power tube types for each channel, not to mention it'll have Mesa's best clean sounds, derived straight from the Lonestar models. And imagine all the available voicings for each channel! You'll get 4 times the amp ++ for a third more of the price of the Single Rec.

And it's just as reliable. Of course, a lot more tubes that can fail, but still, that's not exactly a reason to discard an amp, right? I'm generally not a fan of Rectifiers, but apart from the recto-voicing/tone, it's basically the perfect live/tour amp in my opinion.

road king obviously if you have the money. I thought it was crazy complicated at one time. But one thing at a time and it will soon make so much sense that you realize, it couldn't be any easier to find the perfect tone.

If you have the money the Road King would be the one I would go for.

I have a Roadster combo and the ability to change power settings by channel and chose rectifiers is kind of neat.

That being said I still prefer my Triple Rec, its just got a certain sound that I cant seem to get anywhere else.

I guess it comes down to whether you want a lot of channels or just one good sounding channel. If you are going to just run a clean and crunch and run a lot of pedals the Single will be a lot simplier to operate.

Good Luck, I dont think you can go wrong with either one.

I would say Road King...I switched from a 2-channel DR to a Road King II, and have been very happy that I did. Tons more flexibility.

Both amps are great! I would not say it is like comparing a cavalier to a corvette. Both amps are made with the attention to detail and quality, is just of matter of which one has the features you are looking for.

The roadking will be more versitle with the 4 channels, dual effects loops, progressive linkage and so on and so forth. The roadking is actually very easy to use. Just look at each channel individual, and determine what you want out of each channel and adjust accordingly. There are just so many options of what to do plus it is an amp that should grow with you in the future.

I have had my RK I for 6 years now and I have not had a single problem with it. Build like a tank imo and if something does go wrong, there is a great service dept at mesa to back you and fix things right.

For the money, IMO get the RK.

Is it a RKI or RKII ? If it's a RKII it's even sweeter, you'll be getting it for the price of a Roadster, and shouldn't have trouble getting your money back if you are not happy and sell it, there's a RKI on Ebay right now for $1999.

Dom

Back