Single Rectifier or Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riddick

Reaction score
Hi everyone l'm new here,

It's time for me to buy a new amp, and l'm set on getting a Mesa Boogie, I love the rectifier dirty sound (a la nickelback, Petrucci Train Of Thought sound). But l've heard some great things about the Mark IV, but l haven't had a chance to try one out, what are everyone's opition on sound difference between the single rectifier and Mark IV, what are price difference too.

Well pretty much l'm after a comparison.

Thank you in advance.

Scott.

Mark IV, petrucci uses them too.

much more versatile than a rectrumfrier and not that fuzzy, it has more character and is more aggresive.

so, buy a mark IV :wink:

I agree with the precision coment. The recs are heavy with options, though. They can do anything. Not that the Mark IV can't.

If you do get a Rec, be carfull with that input gain. I've seen so many guys play those things wide open. They get addicted to it at home and then their tone on stage is pure white noise.

Good luck!

By the way, If you're seriously trying to cop the JP tone, I'm pretty sure he uses or did use a heartbreaker for solos in the studio. Just FYI...

The rec's just dont have the attack that the MK series amps do.
It is IMHO a tedious task to dial a DR for a great lead tone. The gain control has to be exact or it compresses to mush or you just dont seem to get enough gain to shred or do clean picked runs.

I almost bought a single recto. I thought it got an amazing sound especially through a 4x12. The main reason I did'nt get it was that the signiture recto sound while really good was'nt that important to me.

The MkIV is a more diverse amp. Of course the only thing it does'nt have is that recto bottom end. The heavy sounds that the MkIV is capable of though can be down right vicious. It just lives in a different sonic territory.

So the question becomes IMHO , do you have to have that recto sound?

One other thing is the MKIV has a greater learning curve. Once you figure out the MKIV its a snap. Until you do its a little frustrating.

I'm specifically after a JP tone, l'm just after a "In your face" tone, as well as a nice clean.

I'll check out the Mark IV.

Thanks for the feedback,

Scott.

:D :D :D I couldn't decide either, so I bought a used Rectoverb from a friend & a blemished Mark IV from the factory. It came with warranty & everything, but only cost $1250 + shipping.

The Rectoverb is great for jamming around the house. It is true though that if you use a lot of gain at bedroom levels, you will need to dial it down a bit or you will have sonic mud when it gets louder. You can get some seriously fat Lead tones with the right settings & guitars. This amp really loves my Strats.

The Mark IV is great for making your friends jealous at jam sessions. I'm running High-Gain JJ preamp tubes, & a quad of JJ 6V6's. This amp flat out sings & rocks. I can get some very sweet Fendery tones & some seriously sick & wicked Lead tones. I use the EQ for solo boosts, it really makes them stand out. Oh yeah, it's Dark Red Gecko tolex too!!! Looks much more attractive than my white snake skin Soldano did, much less 80's big-hair looking.

Having both solves the problem. Great deal on the custom covered MKIV.

Ever run both in a dual amp set up. I know that sounds crazy but I wonder what that might sound like besides loud!

How can you safely do that? Would you use an A-B-Y switch?

Now you have me thinking that the cops haven't been to my house in a long time, and it may be a good time to see some of my old friends in blue. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your help everyone, the rpoblem is, l'm ina bit of a rush as well, my band is starting gigging again in 2 weeks, and l need an amp, but l'm gonna hire out a Mark IV for this weeks band practise to give it a test run and see how l go.

Cheers,

Scott.

Bren10 said:
I agree with the precision coment. The recs are heavy with options, though. They can do anything. Not that the Mark IV can't.

If you do get a Rec, be carfull with that input gain. I've seen so many guys play those things wide open. They get addicted to it at home and then their tone on stage is pure white noise.

Good luck!

By the way, If you're seriously trying to cop the JP tone, I'm pretty sure he uses or did use a heartbreaker for solos in the studio. Just FYI...

There is no way he used a Heartbreaker for his leads. That is albsolute counter intelligence or a mis-information propoganda campain in the worst way. If someone beleives that I would say they have be EVH'ed. The HB is a MK I circuit with more gain added for the lead channel. It cannot do more than a really good blues grind anyway, and even with a TS-9 is is not a high gain monster. JP is a IIC+ addict and always will be.
He has 10 of them.

EVH'ed? :?: Obviously I know who he is, but curious about the reference here.

Monsta-Tone said:
How can you safely do that? Would you use an A-B-Y switch?

Now you have me thinking that the cops haven't been to my house in a long time, and it may be a good time to see some of my old friends in blue. :lol: :lol:

Yeah and AB both box would be needed. I just start to think of the two different sonic territories these amps occupy and think this could be a worthwhile experience. Maybe it would just sound nutty. Than again with some blending of volumes theres some promise in trying this. Let me know if you do it. Take care with your ears! :D

I thought he used Road kings and Lonestars?

AART said:
Mark IV, petrucci uses them too.

much more versatile than a rectrumfrier and not that fuzzy, it has more character and is more aggresive.

so, buy a mark IV :wink:

Latest posts

Back