Simul class wich tubes makes most impact on the tone.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cremona

Reaction score
Hi

Just got my philips 7581A 6l6 tubes for my simul C± , my amp is warming up , i have also ordrd two sylvania 6ca7 .
but i wonder is it the outer sockets where the el34 goes in or the 6l6 sokets that makes the most impact on the tone ?

Right now i have some new sensor mullard reisue`s but the are very midrangy compared to the new stock mesas, lets see what the sylvanis bring to the tabel.

Ahh and now I will unleash Hell :twisted:

With respect to power tubes, I think the biggest impact would be to place EL34s/6CA7s in the outer sockets. I prefer 6CA7s over EL34s, but I'm not really an EL34 kind of guy. I assume you know that 6L6s only in the inner sockets.

Also note that many here recommend a quick mod in order to run EL34s completely safely. The mod includes installing a certain resistor across two of socket pins in the Class A sockets. Boogiebabies (and others) can certainly instuct you.

dodger916 said:
With respect to power tubes, I think the biggest impact would be to place EL34s/6CA7s in the outer sockets. I prefer 6CA7s over EL34s, but I'm not really an EL34 kind of guy. I assume you know that 6L6s only in the inner sockets.

Also note that many here recommend a quick mod in order to run EL34s completely safely. The mod includes installing a certain resistor across two of socket pins in the Class A sockets. Boogiebabies (and others) can certainly instuct you.

Hi

Thanks for you replay.

yes i knew that the two inner sokets only take 6l6`s

I decided on the sylvania 416 (6ca7) fat bottel tubes because the where the ones the amp was made and biased with, so my logic tells me that those tubes are the only ones that make eny sence, and should eliminate the need to do enything else then install them.

I dont fully understand the nature of a tube amp, but if its like eny other eletrial device , if you replace a major part like the tubes , you wanna replace it with the same value component,(if we are not talking modding it to sound differently then the designer intended it to).'

Im still a littel suprised that the outer 6ca7/el34 actually makes the most differene since the inner 6l6 runs the 50 watt class b and outer tubes run in 25watt class A in simul class wich i always run mine on.

Latest posts

Back