Simplifying my life...got an F-30

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radmo

Reaction score
Hey all,
I got an F-30, and barring finding a Maverick or dc-3 before the 30 day return policy is up, I will most likely be keeping the F-30 as my main amp.

I have a Mark-IV....tried for years but can't seem to dial in my tone...(I know many of you think i'm crazy)...will be selling it soon.

Selling my solo50 head.....on ebay right now
http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-SINGLE-RECTIFIER-TUBE-GUITAR-AMP-Series-1_W0QQitemZ160096682874QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just too loud and i want combos.

my question is...Any setting suggestions for my F-30?

radmo

radmo said:
Hey all,
I got an F-30, and barring finding a Maverick or dc-3 before the 30 day return policy is up, I will most likely be keeping the F-30 as my main amp.

I have a Mark-IV....tried for years but can't seem to dial in my tone...(I know many of you think i'm crazy)...will be selling it soon.

Selling my solo50 head.....on ebay right now
http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-SINGLE-RECTIFIER-TUBE-GUITAR-AMP-Series-1_W0QQitemZ160096682874QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just too loud and i want combos.

my question is...Any setting suggestions for my F-30?

radmo

I have a really nice mid '70s non-master Marshall, and a brownface '63 Concert. But my go-to amp is the F-30. It has just the perfect combination of tone, versatility and convenience. I just love it.

As for settings: If you haven't discovered it yet (its actually hard to see and it isn't in the manual), you can pull channel one's gain control for a bright switch. That's essential IMO for getting a good blackface-esque sound. Also, you can do pretty credible Marshall impressions with high midrange settings (2:00 to 4:00) on channel 2. With Contour off its very old-school ('60s and '70s) Marshall; Contour on is more new school IMO.

D7

I just bought a used one and it's awsome. I love the compact size. It fits nicely in the back seat or trunk of my Civic.

I alos have a JCM800 50 watt combo and the F-30 gets just as loud, MUCH better clean tone and very similar crunch/gain tones.

mb.jpg

Hobo said:
I just bought a used one and it's awsome. I love the compact size. It fits nicely in the back seat or trunk of my Civic.

I alos have a JCM800 50 watt combo and the F-30 gets just as loud, MUCH better clean tone and very similar crunch/gain tones.

If you have the chance, could you post some comparison clips of both the JCM and the F-30? You know, some nice hard rock chuggy type stuff. Thanks!

dumeril7 said:
As for settings: If you haven't discovered it yet (its actually hard to see and it isn't in the manual), you can pull channel one's gain control for a bright switch. That's essential IMO for getting a good blackface-esque sound. Also, you can do pretty credible Marshall impressions with high midrange settings (2:00 to 4:00) on channel 2. With Contour off its very old-school ('60s and '70s) Marshall; Contour on is more new school IMO.

D7
D7, you so frickin ROCK! I had NO IDEA the gain knob on channel one could be pulled out for bright. I swear I just ran to my amp to try it out. Thanks for the info and the great tone ideas. I just got home with my F-30. It arrived yesterday via UPS from a guy I bought it from off eBay. I read the manual twice already and you are right: not a word about the channel one gain knob! Thanks again, man. This lil' thing is a monster I'm still trying to tame...
dscn4282xo3.jpg

coffee_n_cigs said:
Hobo said:

If you have the chance, could you post some comparison clips of both the JCM and the F-30? You know, some nice hard rock chuggy type stuff. Thanks!

I don't have any recording equipment but I'll shoot some video this weekend. It'll probably sound like crap but I'll give it a try.

How does the F-30 do as a bedroom wanker amp? I am considering one of these but it must sound good at bedroom levels.

Thanks,

TW

Sounds pretty good but that's not what it's made for. It does have a headphone input but I haven't tried it yet.
At low volume it can get a lot of gain but it gets a little bassy. As you turn it up the mids get really strong and its sounds great.

Here is my bedroom amp - $35 bucks off ebay. Has an inuput for my MP3 player and a headphone jack.

MG.jpg

twally said:
How does the F-30 do as a bedroom wanker amp? I am considering one of these but it must sound good at bedroom levels.

Thanks,

TW
Bro, the lil' beast can double just fine as a bedroom amp AND a stage amp. It sounds frickin good at any volume. By the way, hobo, nice SG...

Latest posts

Back