Silence

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leng

Reaction score
I was talking to Clutch when an important question came to mind.

I don't have a Dual Rectifier yet, but soon I will. Silence is extremely important to me.

My entire rig is solid state, no tubes anywhere:

dsc03706ks7.jpg

Even when I'm pushing all 150 watts of glory, I can put my hands across the strings and the room falls to complete silence. No noise compressor or noise gate, no feedback supressor, nothing.

When I get my DR and am playing at high volumes, can I expect the glorious silence or will a loud hum continue as I mute the strings?

And if there is a hum when you mute the strings, what about if you put the neck pickup volume at 0 and switch to it with the pickup selector? Then will the glorious silence kick in?

If neither of these work, I'm scared because noise suppressors always seem to suck the life out of my tone and I'd hate to have to use one.

Thank you so much for any information.

Just about all tube amps hum to a degree, it's the nature of the beast. With that said, my Roadster is very quiet for a tube amp, and the "hum" can not be heard over the background noise on stage.

IMO, the slight hum is worth the dynamic response of a tube amp. I'm not knocking S.S., I played that for years, but to me a great tube amp is just so much more like an extention of my guitar, and I am hooked.

You should really get to a store and try a Rectifier yourself to see if the hum and hiss is acceptable to you. To me it is a non-issue.

BTW- I use an ISP Decimator out front and it squashes the hiss, not the tone.

Dom

Yes there is a Hum but that's a by product of High Gain.

I got rid of a lot of pedals and prefer a delay in the loop on the clean channel and a wah out front. I then just tweak the amp to find the tone I want.

When you hear the tone difference from solid state to tube, it's a world of difference. I still have my first amp. It's a solid state Fender Sidekick 65w. It has great cleans but does not have the warmth that My old ROV has. Very clean for a Rectifier. My DR is not bad it's just a matter of tweaking at this point.

Very true, I actually might even like having a little hum instead of total silence, to remind me of what power and response I'm dealing with. 8)

Going to the store in a matter of hours, I'm wet with excitement.

"to remind me of what power and response I'm dealing with."

Yes - the power must be used "responsibly" :)

Latest posts

Back