Signal chain question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spot

Reaction score
What's the best place in the signal chain for a volume pedal? If I put it in the effects loop will it silence the amp hum between songs?

I always put mine last in the signal chain after any posiible pedals and my tuner to allow me to cut any noise that may be there from the processing. :wink:

jbird said:
but it should be in front anyways!

Nope. You put in front of the preamp and it controls volume and the ability to control the signal level to the gain stages, hence overdrive the preamp.

You put it in the loop if you want it to only control volume without impacting tone or overdrive.

strumminsix said:
jbird said:

Nope. You put in front of the preamp and it controls volume and the ability to control the signal level to the gain stages, hence overdrive the preamp.

You put it in the loop if you want it to only control volume without impacting tone or overdrive.

+1 If you want to control the amount of gain then put it in front. If you just want to affect volume, put it in loop.

Jack

Janglin_Jack said:
strumminsix said:
jbird said:

+1 If you want to control the amount of gain then put it in front. If you just want to affect volume, put it in loop.

Jack

Effects loops are best utilized for modulation and time based effects! Not wahs, compressors, distortions, or volume pedals! I believe a volume pedal was designed to act as one's guitar volume, thus leaving the hands free for chording and what not! I like the fact you lower your guitar's (or volume pedal's) signal and the amp naturally cleans up! You want to lower the amps power section while leaving full guitar signal to the pre-amp? I guess your gonna recommend recording from the slave out next?

jbird said:
Janglin_Jack said:
strumminsix said:

Jack

Effects loops are best utilized for modulation and time based effects! Not wahs, compressors, distortions, or volume pedals! I believe a volume pedal was designed to act as one's guitar volume, thus leaving the hands free for chording and what not! I like the fact you lower your guitar's (or volume pedal's) signal and the amp naturally cleans up! You want to lower the amps power section while leaving full guitar signal to the pre-amp? I guess your gonna recommend recording from the slave out next?

You are limiting your sonic experiences with that mindset. Filter effects are recommended before the preamp but Phasers sound great in the loop.

The Twin Reverb didn't have an FX looop, would you have not used delays and choruses with one?

Pedal placement for the most part is personal choice.

Latest posts

Back