show last night...EXTREME HUM

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allcountyfair

Reaction score
yeah so we had a show last night at a block party. We all got pumped up and jumped around to get ready to play. Then I turn my amp on, and I got the loudest hum ever. We spent an hour trying to fix it...and we did everything possible. Then I plugged my guitar into my bassist's amp and got the same hum. So LUCKALY it was not my amp...thank god. My guitar does have some grounding issues so i have to bring that in to get fixed...but it was a bummer wasting all that time and still having to play with the hum.

it definately had to do with the wall socket and electricity running through it. different places have different voltages, unfortunately, due to lack of consistent quality. you would need a voltage regulator and/or power conditioner to get rid of most of that. it's also safe to prevent harm to your amp when the electricity spikes. you could also run a Gate in your efx loop, but you're not solving the true problem.

Yeah, grounding issues in a guitar can suck. I once had a strat that no matter what I did I would get a little grounding shock somewhere. I ended up finally taking it in and having the electronics gone through. I had gotten really frustrated because even with the polarity switches on my amp I couldn't get the guitar not to make me get shocked. After the tuneup the guitar was fine. It was some little contact that was being made under the pickguard after you screwed it back together. The tech took several hours playing with it to find it and figure it out.

I bought a short 1 to 3 extension power cable with built in ground fault protection a while back. Not sure this will help with your hum but it should keep you alive if a location has bad grounding, FYI.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Single-coils?

yes it is a single coil.

Guitarzan said:
Also check your preamp tubes...

It deffinatly doesnt have to do anything with the amp because i plugged into my bassist's amp and got a loud hum and he wasnt getting any hum at all...it could have been the voltage though. I'll check it out

This is totally useless advice:
If you don't like it when your amp hums.....teach it the words.

I know someone has had to have heard that one before LOL.

Back