should i upgrade to EV's in the bottom of my metal grill?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
i'm thinking about putting a pair of EV's in the bottom half of my boogie metal grill 4x12.
its my road ready 4x12 and it sits at 116lbs as it is with 4 c90's, so the extra 20 lbs doesn't bother me, as its already a two man lift now.

what tonal differences will i hear with 2 ev's on the bottom rather than c90s'?

Some people say EVM-12L's are more "beamy" when directly in front of the center, than a typical speaker. I don't sense this, perhaps because I was raised with this speaker in a single 12" open back..

Yeah, I know it's been said a lot, enough times that more than a few folks start to parrot it as truth, but I also do NOT find the EV12L any more "beamy" or directional as the MC90 or other common guitar speakers. I think some folks perceive this because in a closed-back cab like the 212, 412, or Thiele, you lose the ambient fill that's inherent in an open-back cab ...so it naturally sounds more directional. In my own experience, I do not find my EV-Thiele any more "beamy" than my 112 open back cab with an MC90.

As for Jim's orig post, the EVMs will definitely give you a tighter, more focused bottom end. It's more percussive in "feel," slightly less upper-mids, yet more"hi-fi" clear in the highs. FWIW, I love the EVM and MC90 together as their inherently different voices compliment each other superbly.

Edward

I'm the only person I've ever heard say this, but I just couldn't dig a C90 in my combo and a 12L in my Thiele. Admittedly I didn't keep it that way for long. I have a Weber Michigan 12 in the combo now and I like it a good bit, but the two EV combo is something I may go back to.

I guess what I'm saying is you might like 4 C90s more than 2 C90s and 2 EVs.

Now 4 EVs, that would be something else.

phyrexia said:
Now 4 EVs, that would be something else.

I loved mine with my Mk IV. :twisted:

I've never liked the C90's with Mk series amps. They seem to accentuate the mids in an already mid-heavy amp. I like the C90 in the Stiletto, though, but didn't care for the EVM, Vintage 50,or the MS-12. All great speakers for the Mks, but didn't work for me with the Stiletto.

Mine originally came with the Eminence MS-whatever MS12? Anyway, they were as heavy as the EVs and it wasn't bad to move around with casters until you had to lift it.... then yeah, it's a 2 man job. :oops:

Latest posts

Back