should I trade my mk IV for a loaded simlu C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shep said:
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/Gear2Gig/

pictures of it..

Wow, that's sexy. :shock:

If I were you, I would sell the Mark III and buy the IIC+. That way, you could have the best of both worlds- the Mark IV and IIC+. The Mark III and IIC+ are too alike to keep both IMO. That is, unless you are trying to have two similar amps with different settings and such.

Shep said:
dude , that is a really good post..

I am Thinking about trading the mk IV with some cash for this fully load simlu C+..i have a radial head bone amp switcher so i can run two amp's like different channel's..i do it sometimes with mk IV and MK III.. mk IV clean lead , MK III as Heavy rhy..i could do this with the mk IIc+..

will this amp have everything i could possibly want plus more..?

The guts are super clean and it all looks 100% stock C+. Like BB, I'd sell the mkIII and keep the IV. IV + IIC+ is an amazing combination. I use MarkIV cleans + lead dialed for some rhythm tones, and MarkIIC+ for the leads. Are you happy with your markIII?

The PT say's it's a 105, plus I have never seen an X101 or 105 with plastics leads. It odd, plus the PT bolts are covered in nail polish. The rest of the amp looks fine. It has some of the older style resistors.

Boogiebabies said:
The PT say's it's a 105, plus I have never seen an X101 or 105 with plastics leads. It odd, plus the PT bolts are covered in nail polish. The rest of the amp looks fine. It has some of the older style resistors.

I don't reckon the PT is a Mesa 105 or even the x101 export tranny. It's probably a Fender replacement tranny. What the tech has done is use the outer cover of the 105 to keep it looking stock (the re-potting can clearly be seen), and what gives it away is the nylon PT wires which weren't around when these amps were made, and the voltage selector panel. Lacquering the screws is also not a Mesa thing to do.

Original Mesa voltage selector
properxportzp1.jpg

Fender voltage selector?
rear1fw8.jpg

rear2mx4.jpg

It looks like a pretty good job.

jvk said:
Boogiebabies said:

I don't reckon the PT is a Mesa 105 or even the x101 export tranny. It's probably a Fender replacement tranny. What the tech has done is use the outer cover of the 105 to keep it looking stock (the re-potting can clearly be seen), and what gives it away is the nylon PT wires which weren't around when these amps were made, and the voltage selector panel. Lacquering the screws is also not a Mesa thing to do.

Original Mesa voltage selector
properxportzp1.jpg

Fender voltage selector?
rear1fw8.jpg

rear2mx4.jpg

It looks like a pretty good job.

does it look like the real deal still.. is it worth me getting it..?

Despite my amp forensics, I still think this amp would sound o.k. If it's the Fender replacement PT that I think it is (as used in the Fender Twin/Showman Bassman/Vibrasonic) it's taps are very similar to the x101.

This is a closeup of the Fender voltage selector.
fvspcustomnb3.jpg

Shep said:
when you say ok do you mean C+ ok.. or just ok

I will preface my response with the the fact that I am a purist when it comes to originality. I don't mind a resistor or a cap here and there, but for the $ 4200 US / $4700 AUS asking price that amp should be priced better with that after market power transformer. Someone is trying to be slick with that 105 cover. To me, that a pretty crappy thing to try and pass off at above market value.

Since the voltager selector is made by Fender and they also make a similar PT to the x101 we can make the assumption that the tone of this amp is very close to the original IIC+ w/export tranny.

Having said that, I agree with Ed, you should try and knock it down, maybe MkIV + $600? Should you decide to buy just be sure to give it a play test.

I wonder if this guy even knows about the PT? Maybe he had the work done for him when he first bought the amp.

Our job is done here - it's your call!!

GOOD NEWS, the mate that he bought it off has the original 110volt 105 and i get that two along with the new mesa export replacement it has in it now.it was only put in to make it 240volt's... it's a DRG.. i am swapping my mk III plus $2600 Aus which includes postage.. it's turned into a amazing deal.2600 may seem high compared to US but mk IV's retail $6k new.. that gives you an idea...i might leave the 101x in or put the 105 and run it at 110 with a step down tranny..

i will have a C+ next Week..and i will also have a MK IV!!!

105 and guess what, he said something about the tubes in originally came with!!! str 415's here i come..

the guy didn't even know about the transformer by the way.. it was only after he email the guy he bought it from that he found out.. He was Shock that i told him this just by looking at it.. THANKYOU SO SO MUCH GUY'S.

You've got two of the sweetest sounding amps you can get 8)

The current export PT should give you a smoother tone than the original, so keep the PT but I wouldn't worry about swapping them just yet.

Boogiebabies said:
Elpelotero said:
Wow! This is really an awesome deal!! Congrats! CRANK IT!!!!

Connect pins 1 and 8 on the outer sockets first.

lol I still haven't done that....it's only for the el34 slots right? How exactly does this protect the tubes? I don't understand why a buss wire would help this out.

Elpelotero said:
Boogiebabies said:
Elpelotero said:
Wow! This is really an awesome deal!! Congrats! CRANK IT!!!!

Connect pins 1 and 8 on the outer sockets first.

lol I still haven't done that....it's only for the el34 slots right? How exactly does this protect the tubes? I don't understand why a buss wire would help this out.

Call Mike B. again and ask him, if you can disguise your voice for the 50th time. :D

Just do it. :shock:

Latest posts

Back