Should I Sell my 4x12 and get a 2x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
I have a 4x12 oversized w. v30s.

Cons:
-really big and heavy-takes up car space
-really loud--neighbors get kind of pissed when I play in my townhouse in college
-it's just big and bulky and a pain in the arse sometimes

Pros:
-sounds awesome when I crank it at home in Miami (away from college)
-looks awesome
-for shows, it's a definite plus. great spread.
-great recording sound
-its a friggin Mesa 4x12!

I'm about to buy a new car. If i keep the 4x12 I'll need an SUV like sorta thing. If I sell it, I can get a sedan. I had a rollover accident with an SUV once so I'm a little scared of them....

can anyone give me some pros/cons of a 2x12? I may go to GC and try one out. thanks

Elpelotero said:

Cons:
-really loud--neighbors get kind of pissed when I play in my townhouse in college

Pros:
-looks awesome
-great recording sound

I'm about to buy a new car. If i keep the 4x12 I'll need an SUV like sorta thing. If I sell it, I can get a sedan. I had a rollover accident with an SUV once so I'm a little scared of them....

can anyone give me some pros/cons of a 2x12? I may go to GC and try one out. thanks

I couldnt live without my 4X12 but Im in a band with a band truck so I never have to carry it home . I cant believe people carry those things around in automobiles . Im fortunate .

I tried to go to 2x12's and just missed the thump of a 4x12. The 2x12's also have more midrange too.

Some cars actually will fit a 4x12 in the trunk, just check them out.

I couldn't go without my 4x12 either...

The oversized is big...pain in the *** to lug around, but the tone it puts out always reminds me why I put up with it.

I just got a new car...a Suzuki SX4 to be more specific....it's a mini SUV type car....amazing car...but back to the point...

Even though it seems to be a small car, it fits my 4x12 in the back no problem!

i still have my 4x12 and got a 2x12 for smaller gigs but it still lacks that bottom end that i like - and i play rock, not even metal. i'm thinkin of gettin the roadster 2x12 and usin the 2x12 w/ it.

Honda CR-V. Like a station wagon on 'roids. 4-cylinder so it's decent gas mileage. Has a SUV look to it, but it's not crazy big. Keep the 4x12 until you're too old to lug it around. ha ha. Just save up and get the 2x12 too!

Haha.. that's why I drive a WRX Wagon, so I can move my crap back and forth :D

I have the 2x12 and while I like it, I'd prefer a 4x12 myself.

im able to cram my avatar 4x12 comfortably into my mustang... its not as big as a mesa cab though.

I can not fit my Mesa 4x12 in my Honda Accord Coupe. Normally for gigs I either use my wifes car that it fits into or my rhythm guitarists SUV. But it sucks to have to plan around and to make matters worse....my wife can drive my 5 speed so I can only use hers when she doesn't need it.

I have contemplated getting something smaller as well. I have an Avatar 4x12 that fits, but it doesn't sound nearly as good + my rhythm player is using it at the moment.

I do have a Gflex 2x12, but I hate it with my Mesa. If my only option is to use the Gflex I use my 5150II with it.

Some people like the Gflex with the Mesa though....best bet is to try it. I liked it with my Tverb and the 5150 and would say overall it is a cool cab that sounds bigger than it is. Just too bright for me with the DR.

Elpelotero said:

Cons:

Pros:
-looks awesome
-great recording sound

I have to add that the 4X12 cab is a major part of my rig . It really made a huge difference when i went from the 2X12 to the 4X12 . Something magical about it for me .

justs trap it to the roof or sumthgin lol
mt behringer cab just baerly fits in the back of my moms cavalier wagon. Im getting a B2200 truck soon, so that won;t be a problem at all then

The physics of speaker cabinets dictate that a closed 2 x12 cannot sound the same as a closed 4 x 12, all other factors being equal. Resonant frequency goes up as the volume goes down, and this trend is irrespective of the number of drivers.

I would try a few ported 2 x 12 cabinets. Porting can make the cabinet effectively bigger in terms of resonance. Bogner makes a 1x12 and a 2x12 that sound pretty good. Some people also like the Gflex 2x12.

Do A-B comparisons if you can. Let us know what you discover.

I would recommend that you add a 2x12 and keep your 4x12, so you can pick and choose accordingly for different situations.

well, i ended up buying a small crossover suv/wagon. the cab more than fits, so i'm keeping it.

some of the comments you guys made about the magic of a 4x12...i can't imagine stepping down in tone, being the freak i am with tone, after hearing a 4x12 blasting away. the sedan i was considering would've been more expensive than the suv anyways.

there's no way i could afford another cab right now. i need to get a job to finish paying off the car!

thanks for the advice guys. if you ever hear some loud noise when driving past florida, it'll be me!!

Latest posts

Back